The rules for petsitting...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chocochin

Momma to Ganache :D
So my husband and I are headed home for two weeks at Christmas, which means the first time that I will be away from Ganache and I'm getting worried about how he's going to do. I know there's a couple other petsitting threads but I had still have some questions...
1) Is it okay for Ganache to be living alone in the apartment if someone is coming over once per day to see him? What kind of lights/noises should be left for him in our absence?
2) What about play time? His cage is a little small right now... 27Lx 17Wx 25H (getting a CN for Christmas) and I'm worried he's going to be really unhappy without play time, but conversely worried about him misbehaving for someone he doesn't know very well at all. What do I do?

when im out of town my mom comes over once a day to feed and change waters. I leave a radio on all the time in my chin room. But I dont allow playtime with anybody but myself. as long as the chin has water and food every day they will be fine without play time.

He will be fine with someone checkin once a day. Be sure its a person you know well and trust, I have had people say they were gonna take care of my animals and not do it. I don't trust anyone to do playtime but myself.

We have someone come in twice a day, morning and night. Check bowls/water and all of that.

We found a generic contract on the Internet that lists times/duties. Like if they need a dust bath/type of water to use/name and number of emergency vet and how much they're authorized to use + euthanization instructions. Plus emergency numbers and all that.

Here's one that's a lot more formal than what we use:
http://www.free-legal-document.com/pet-sitting-contract.html

We found a generic contract on the Internet that lists times/duties. Like if they need a dust bath/type of water to use/name and number of emergency vet and how much they're authorized to use + euthanization instructions. Plus emergency numbers and all that.

Yeah that's a good idea, but the one you linked is probably a bit too formal. It's a friend who I know well and trust, he just doesn't know Ganache super well. I'm having a training session for him so he'll know all the basic care stuff but always good to have some things laid out for that on paper, especially with vets etc.

This brought up another problem though, how do you do dust baths in the cage? I always have it during play time since his house doesn't fit through the door... if I put a glass pan in there, will it be a necessary to change all of his bedding out when he's done, or does the dust in his cage matter? I use aspen.

It's not sunny here at all in the winter, pretty dark and cloudy every day. Will he be alright with just a night light or two on all the time?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just very nervous to leave him and I want to make sure everything is all set up!

I use one of these and it fits through our cage doors just fine. Definitely do not leave the dust bath in the cage. They'll potentially pee & poop in there if left in the cage too long which can lead to matted fur. Plus, they can also fall asleep in it, and that dust is bad for their respiratory system if they just sit in it forever. When I give her the dust bath, I stick it in the cage for 5 mins or so. Once she gets out, I pull it out of the cage.

See that's the same house that I have...The doors on my cage are so dang small. I think I'll use a baking dish as I've seen recommended I'm just wondering how much dust that gets in his bedding and if that'll be a problem, cause then I guess the petsitter will have to do semi-cage cleaning every three days. Not a huge deal, but obviously I won't make him do that unless it's necessary.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't leave it with him all the time! Even during playtime I usually only leave it with him for maybe ten minutes so he doesn't go crazy with it..plus he does like to use it as a litter box after his bath, like a dusty little kitty haha.

Dust residue from the bath in the cage is fine. It will just settle into the bedding and absorb pee. I would not have someone unfamiliar with chins allow playtime. too much risk for injury. He will be completely fine without it.

Oh wow, those must be some tiny doors! Yeah, if you can't find a baking dish that will fit, I've seen people with goldfish bowls as well. Though, I guess those are usually bigger than that dust house.

Oh wow, those must be some tiny doors! Yeah, if you can't find a baking dish that will fit, I've seen people with goldfish bowls as well. Though, I guess those are usually bigger than that dust house.

There's small doors because they put three of them..one for reaching the bottom pan, on if he's on the middle shelf, and one on top... Would've made more sense to go the FN/CN route and do a big one but cage makers aren't that smart I suppose.
I was tricked with this one because it already came with nice wood shelves and I was trying to avoid having to online order things, deal with shipping, didn't know I could just make my own shelves, etc. Luckily he's a baby any way so it's been a good couple months and this'll make a nice travel/emergency cage if we ever need it. And when I get back from the Sates in January, I'm buying a CN first thing :D

Oh yeah, and thanks for the input about no playtime while we're away.. It makes sense, I just worry about him and want him to be totally happy, but it's definitely not worth the risks. Hopefully he won't be too mad at me when I return!

Back