The mystery is solved... Giardia

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a thought but my horses, donkeys ,and one of my chinchillas drop their penis when pain meds or sedation is given. Dawn would be the go to person on it, but I have to keep any of them lubed(use water base vet lube) and clean when I am having to medicate them.

He's actually no longer on pain meds, he's been off them for a while now. This was only an issue when we checked for the hair ring and saw he was a big inflamed.

The vet is out until at least tuesday so I'll grab her then and talk to her about trying flagyl. I don't know what else it could be. :/

The exotic vet was in last night and I was able to get a prescription of fenbendazole.
He gets 0.1ml QD for five days.

It might be worth noting that I did get his weight up 20 grams since this entire thing started. His weighed about 460 for his first visit at work and now he's up to about 480. At least I know he's improving, even if he's still not eating on his own. He's still getting probiotics and the simethecone.

If they're always positive even when the parasite isn't active, how will I know whether he's clear or not?
If he continues to be positive and has no diarrhea... I'm not sure how I'm supposed to tell. I suppose if he starts eating like he used to that I would have my answer but if he doesn't... What then?

After the 5 days the vet should do another fecal and recheck for amount of parasites, at least that was what mine did the one time I dealt with it. I used albendalzol, it was 5 days on, 3 days off, 5 days on treatment. Right now I think the treatment is being shot gunned-use enough bullets and something might hit, its all you can do when they can't tell you what is wrong.

Update:
The fenbendazole made no significant improvement. She prescribed some baytril, which I had hoped I wouldn't have to deal with. He's willingly eating treats(as long as it's not directly after a feeding) now, but after the baytril I know he won't be. I'm waiting until tomorrow to start him on it, as I want to have enough time to monitor him after the first dose or two.
He's also still on simethicone and probiotics.

His molars have grown a bit since this started(I'm assuming because he's not chewing as much now that I'm hand feeding), but it's nothing that needs immediate attention and he can deal with that on his own if he starts eating soon... If not, he's going to need them filed.

What I have noticed recently is that he will eat a little bit during the night if I cut back his last feeding. Not enough for it to matter, but it's something. If I feed him too late, he doesn't touch his pellets at all. His weight is still stable at this point, slowly climbing back up.

Quick question: I've started my externship so I've been spending more time at work than usual. This conflicts with his feedings and medication times. Would the stress be too much if I bring him in more often? Temperatures will be controlled, so that's not an issue. With how I'm working, it's difficult to get his meds into him at the desired time, plus I can feed him more often to help put more weight on him.

If taking him so often(not necessarily every day, but more often than I want to) would do more harm than good... Would an hour or two early, or later be best for the baytril? He's supposed to get .2ml every 12 hours. He seemed a bit brighter on the sulfatrimeth(though it didn't solve the issue) so I'm hoping an antibiotic is the way to go. He's his same old self, just not eating. >.<

Bringing him in depends on his personality, most chins do fine, some don't. I would bring him as see how he does. Baytril too early is better than baytril too late IMO.

I have brought him for all his rechecks and what not. He's visibly stressed but I don't think he's to the point of being unable to cope with being there. I've caught him munching on sticks, napping, etc... He won't drink there, but he's still not drinking at home either so that's not a huge difference. He's never been comfortable with being handled so I keep that to a minimum.

We did get blood from him without having to sedate, which was interesting to see. I have never seen someone draw blood from a chins jugular before yesterday. He was pretty great for it too, considering how much he hates being handled.

Baytril was just my last resort... I wanted to avoid if all possible, but I agree with you. Have you had a case where it hasn't ruined a chins appetite?

Injectable has its own issues, you have to be really careful when doing it to not have any actual baytril on the needle tip since its caustic and causes tissue necrosis and burns, for malo chins with tons of drool which I usually deal with its the only way I was guaranteed the correct amount was given, drooly mouths spit out anything going in that is liquid.

Ah, I'm good with a needle but between their size and all that fur, I wouldn't trust it without another hand on him. Unless I bring him in every 12 hours, it's just me here to medicate him.

Latest posts

Back