The "Laundry Smell"

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosco Lam

My cage is in the basement where the washer and dryer is. during the wash cycle, i cover the cage with a thin blanket and close the closet doors to the machines to minimize the smell and noise. while that can be prevented, the smell still lingers, sometimes because we hang are clothes there. would the smell of the laundry detergent harm my chin's health? (he's never come into contact with the actual liquid.) thanks in advance!! :)

My chinchilla's cage is located right next to the laundry room. (He's lived in the same spot for 3/4 years and counting)There is a door between and whenever the laundry's on, we close the door. I also let my chinchilla out in the laundry room all the time. He likes to go in the laundry basket and even behind the washing machines (I dont let him but he still does). There's a huge window in the laundry room leading to the backyard which I open only during the night and all of the detergents are on top of the washing machine. There was a time when my chinchilla lived across the U.S in a basement (it also had a washing machine and dryer with no doors; his cage was the farthest part away from the washing machine in a corner) and I made sure every single window was open. Ventilation is super important to keep the smell out of all the detergent and chemical stuff, and for fresh air, and doors or something to keep out the sound of the washing machine.

Last edited:
okay, thank you:) i will keep the window open whenever i can and keep the fan going for good circulation. thanks!

I'd be more concerned with the humidity (& temp). I have a finished basement and all of my chins are located down there as well as the washer and dryer. Between the months of June through September I have to use a dehumidifer as the humidity levels sometimes climb over 50% down there. Good ventilation is also a must.

Back