The holidays make me realize how lucky my family is

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReneeM

I work as a caregiver in the home of an elderly woman who is about 85. There are family dynamics that I cannot begin to understand. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and I had assumed they wouldn't need me, that she would be spending the day with her family. I was wrong. She has at least five children, none of which invited her for the Holiday. Her one son may be dropping food off for her, but other than that she will not be spending the day with family.

I will be working a normal shift tomorrow. So my client will not be spending the Holiday alone, but with me. It makes me sad and angry. She shouldn't have to spend her holiday with me.

I'm not working past 4, so I can go home and be with my own family. I could probably work a longer shift if I wanted to, but its out of the question even making time and a half. Some things ate just more important. I joked with my client that at least I don't have to help cook ;)

I can't even begin to imagine not spending the holidays without my family, or leaving my elderly mother alone. (well at 61 she isn't quite there yet :p)

That is really sad, but you would be surprised how often it happens. I couldn't imagine having my own mother sit there alone. I'm guessing they probably don't visit her much either. Maybe there is something that went on in that family that you don't know about? I know lots of families because of whatever reason (don't get along, something traumatic happened) that they never see eachother, let alone get together for the holidays. We sometimes don't know the whole story, but it's still pretty sad. Family is really all you've got. :( At least she has you tomorrow!

You're right, I am really thankful for the family I have, we may not be perfect, but we love eachother and are there for one another! Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited:
They have alot of family problems. I don't know much, but they don't get along :(

This is off topic just a bit and I feel as sorry for the neglected elderly as much as anyone and probably understand it from both a family and caregiver perspective as I am a nurse and have had both of my parents need end of life care in a nursing home.

My issue with this type of post is that I feel that you as a "caregiver" are breaking one of the golden rules of being offered a job and being given access to this woman's home and family dynamics (most of which are overly complex and generally have many sides to them, so judging is really not in this womans best interest).

I am fairly certain that by entering this field that the issue of CONFIDENTIALITY has been broached to you on more than one occasion both before you were offered the job and during. You do not know who may be reading this forum and how they would feel if they came across this post and realized that it was about a friend or family member. Being given access to someones personal life is something that you have been entrusted with and you are putting this womans life on display for anyone to read. If I were in your shoes I would tread very carefully or you may find yourself out of a job. I am just saying...

I didn't think about it like that, you are correct. I've taken steps to address the post. I should have thought better before posting. No excuses though, you are right.

When addressing the story I changed most of the information, just leaving the general idea.

I have no family and I'm only 23. I was kicked out and disowned due to the fact I'm adopted.so I get to spend the holidays with my chins and myself.

I have no family and I'm only 23. I was kicked out and disowned due to the fact I'm adopted.so I get to spend the holidays with my chins and myself.

Sometimes the best family is the family you get to pick for yourself. Sometimes I prefer my animals and my friends over my family. Surround yourself with both over the holidays and every day!

Latest posts

Back