The Dreaded Chin Ban

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many chins did you own when you were banned from getting any more?

• 1-3

Votes: 48 47.5%
  • 4-6

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • 7-9

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • 10-12

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 13+

Votes: 16 15.8%

• Total voters
Well, I was not allowed to get more after I had my 4. That was a good number. I have lost two of my sweet chinnies boys though. My husband says no more. I enjoy my two chinnies and feel that is a very comfortable number. Although I still wish Jumo and Bailey were here!

I've never been banned. My husband knew what he was getting into when he married me, because I was breeding long before we got together. It's his idea to expand to ~100 someday... he's even planning to build me my dream chin building. We have a self-imposed limit for dogs, and have decided no more cats in the future, but there is no real chinchilla limit until we get closer to 100.

I always said I'd marry the man who showed an interest in my chinchillas, and he was the only one who did.

I love my husband. :)

No imposed bans here, but hubby and I agreed to no more chin adoptions (we stopped at 4). I'm still a student and a recent chinny bladder surgery (over $2K) took a nice chunk of our savings, so we'd be afraid to add more animals to our home and not be able to pay for their care. So this is largely a financial decision (for now ;) )

Let's see .. a snake, a lizard, 2 cats, 55 gallon fish tank, and two chinchillas .. no ban yet, but I'm expecting one soon as we are running out of room! But he's a sucker for anything that makes me happy .. lol! We plan on moving into a bigger apartment next year or so .. my boyfriend has no idea what he's getting himself into .. muahah :)) I would like to eventually breed chinchillas too, but not until I know more and we have more room.

Mine is more of a time and space issue than an outright ban. Though I think my fiance would have a cow if we got another at this point in time, I can see him caving if the chin had come from an abusive home. All four boys fit comfortably in one room and get rotating play time but five would be pushing it. However, when we get a house, all bets are off because there's a black velvet I've had my eye on!

I imposed the ban myself, although I'm sure my husband agrees. We have 2 cats, 6 chins, 2 goldfish and 2 betta fish and I think we're fine the way we are. Although in the future I would love to have a separate chin room, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm putting my personal limit at 2 until July but then it might have to get bumped up to 5, heh heh.

Had four, due to old age and illness, now have just two. I look at the chins for sale and rescue page and want to get another couple. But I sure like cleaning up after just two; cleaning cages has become a breeze! The ideal chin right now would be an older female to replace the sister recently deceased, perhaps an older retired from breeding female.

My husband has said I can have as many as I want as long as I keep them in one room..You can fit a lot in one room...I may need a bigger room soon though

Lucky you! My boyfriend put the ban up after two...then it became three...and now he's putting his foot down.

This question about a chin ban is one of the reasons I LOVE being a single mom. I call all the shots. ;)

No ban, but I have only one chin. I would like to rescue one next but the closest petfinder.com chin is a 5 hr drive away. BTW 79, 100, and 200+ sounds like a ton of work.

First I got 1. Hubby said no more. Then she got a friend because she was lonley. Hubby said NO more. Then Ruby had unexpected babies bringing us to 4. Hubby said NO MORE! Then Ruby died and Hubby said look for a young female bratty is sad and lonley. :) Now waiting to introduce bratty and Nusta to see if they are a good match. Hubby ani I have decided NO more!

I think I'm fine with the amount of chinchillas I have now. My husband has said no more pets until we get a house (in six months to a year), and though I've seen chinchillas on CL and every time they pull my heart strings, I'd like to get a pair of lovebirds or a conure, and then I think our fur family would be decently large. But then again, we'll probably end up getting a couple dogs before that happens.

I will have more chins after my trio "crosses the rainbow bridge" but unless another one steals my heart (knock on wood) three is a good number.

I have never been banned from getting animals, I stop myself from getting them because I know what we can afford and what we cannot since I am a student. It is HIM that wants more chinchilla's. He wants to learn more about them and start breeding. I am really iffy on that, and I do not think he will be allowed to use my Bella for that ever because I would really hate to lose her and I think she is way too small to make a good breeding chin. If he wants to do that he can get and care for his own chins.

Back