The DIY Melamine Cage Club =)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a cage made out of melamine. Kind of like cabinets and such. It's a solid built cage on all sides, top and bottom with a wire framed door in front. It really keeps the mess down! I'll try and post some pictures of my set up to get going. Mine are nothing fancy. Dawn's (ticklechin) cages are awesome! i decided to tile the bottom of mine after seeing hers.

Here is a thread with some cages. http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23633

I think I've already posted all the pics of my cage in other threads, hehe. I have an album in my profile though. Though mine only has one solid side since I wanted more air flow, so it's less melamine than most others but I guess it still technically qualifies.

I know there are a bunch of people with absolutely amazing homemade melamine cages here. They probably get sick of everyone ogling them and asking them if they would make them one, haha.

Wow, Caiti, I don't remember seeing Chloe's cage before. She is one spoiled little lady!

I love the looks of the melamine cages. I wish I or the hubby were handy!

Hey! I finally belong to one of these exclusive cage clubs! Omg I belong, who-hoo!!! Haha just kidding.

I've had my melamine cage for about 4 years now, built it over a weekend with a friend. It's a few inches shy of being the same size as the QC townhome.

Here's how it was when we first built it...
melamine_1.jpg

melamine_2.jpg

Over time, the pine wood darkened naturally. I also realized that not having an actual pan wasn't going to cut it, and ordered a custom-sized pan from Bass Equip. Also took out one of the shelves to add in a ChinSpin.

melamine_3.jpg

melamine_4.jpg

LOVE the cage. Just wish it wasn't so heavy.

My chin cages are all melamine....right now I have large ones and two shorter maternity cages....they aren't fancy but boy they are easy to clean, and it keeps the poop inside the cage instead of all over the floor like wire cages....love them! but yes they are HEAVY.

chinroom-1.jpg

chinroom2.jpg

Fancy guys! I like! Too bad I couldnt make something like that! Im selling my cage to my cousin so I might have to look into it before I buy a FN :D

LOVE the cage. Just wish it wasn't so heavy.

Tell me about it! I just picked up a melamine cage on Craigslist for $50. It's 4 feet wide, and 24 inches tall, and 24 deep. Plus have the 2 baby cages to bring down 13 stairs.... I'd rather give birth!!! Not looking forward to that chore! They will be nice once this butt gets them completed, and decked out. :)

Okay, I may have missed this little bit of info in the thread, but for those of you who have actually built one of these cages yourself, how much- roughly- did you have in the supplies for building?

I think mine was a little over $220 - but that was partly because I didn't have any supplies here. If I was to build another one, now I have the rest of the roll of hardware cloth, the box of screws, etc, etc - it'd be considerably cheaper for me to build a second one. Not to mention now I wouldn't mess up on measurements the second time around...

Last edited:
Okay, awesome! :] I might start to buy things here and there... I just feel like I can't do exactly what I want with my current cage. We'll see how things go! Thank you both for replying so quickly. :dance3:

Keep an eye out at some of the hardware stores like Lowes etc. I found sheets of melamine for $2 a board on discount! This was for approx 4x4 pieces. I just had to buy one more piece, and made 2 baby chin melamine cages for $50 total in supplies. It's true once you buy the roll of wire, the cost goes down lower the next time you find yourself building another one. I think the extra storage under the cages if nifty too, if you don't have many animals.

I'm so excited. I'm having my melamine cages built rite now. I'm hoping to have then done really soon... ill post pics when I get them home.

Going to bump this thread! Hey after all we need a melamine club since the FN people have theirs! LOL

Also, Dawn if your out there reading this, when you put down the tiles, did you use any type of grout sealer so the urine didn't soak into the grout? I still have 5 boxes of left over tile from a kitchen project went horribly wrong. (290# kid jumping up and down!) Might as well put them to use this fall!

here are mine, this was rite before we put the ledges and hammocks in but you get the idea :)

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 87
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 69

Latest posts

Back