The Blind Fur Chewer

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chintastic!

I have a blind chin, well technically two who are blind, but one of them has recently started fur chewing. I have such a hard time getting her to come out for play time, she is scared to leave my lap, or sill sit unter my stool while the others play. I am so worried about her. She is housed with her mother and two other females who are not related. They have all been together for almost a year so I'n not thinking its the others causing her stress or she would have showed it by now, right? They are in an FN142, and after her first week she knew the layout well and has managed to get around nicely. I'm trying to think of any changes that could be stressing her out, but I dont know what to do.

Also, just curious, do colors of any kind seem to have more genetic problems, like blindness or something? Both of my homo beiges are blind and I was wondering if they, or any other colors of chins are more inclined to these problems?

Thank you for all your help!

Are you sure it is her chewing her fur and not a cage mate chewing on her? She doesn't have to have playtime. I guess I would spend more time giving her loves and scritches in her cage and just take her out when you can simply spend one on one time holding her. Perhaps two food and water places might help, sometimes those can become territorial places.

I am sure it is her, the fur has only been chewed on her hips, I will try to get a picture later.
There are already two water bottles and two food dishes, one on each level. A.) because there are four of them, and B.) because two of them are blind. I did that in the beginning so they wouldnt have to go as far when they werent acustomed to the cage yet. I have never seen any fighting between any of them, they do steal sticks from eachother, but they all try to squeeze into one hidey house, even though I gave them a bigger one they wont use it!
I just worry about her som much. She was supposably 6 or 7 when I got her with her mom, so she is 8 or 9 now. I dont want to loose her or have anything happen to her.

Latest posts

Back