Terrible things pet store people say

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lately I have been hearing a lot of wrong things pet store people have been saying to people who are looking for a chin and come to me. I told one person what he should be looking for in a cage - lots of wood/no plastic,etc. That person said a person in the pet store told him that one should not use wood for shelves because chins chew them - you should use plastic WHAT??? Another person said a pet store person told him that one should neuter/spay a chin so they will live longer. WHAT AGAIN!!! Quite a few months ago a person asked me if my chins had 'their shots'. I told her chins do not have to have any kind of 'shot's' She said a pet store person told her that they give their chin shots and that is why one shouldn't buy from a breeder (they never give their chin their shots) WHAT the heck is it with these people at pet stores??

I think some people who work in pet stores generally do not have animals best interest in mind or are even educated and trained right....it happens from chain stores to dirty little independent stores..a lot of pet stores here = profit so they will sell all that unsafe overpriced product and not have correct information a lot of the time. personally I could not deal with being a provider of information and giving wrong information to others as a paid profession ...
I was told to put my chinchilla in a extremely small hamster cage .....like this cage was so small I don't even see how it could have moved....feed her nuts and chinchilla food with junk and sugar in it ,and that my chin was a male....turned out it was a girl...the moment I got home I was all over the net researching as I was not planning on buying a chin it was sort of a I need to get this pet outta the store !!! I personally have to steer clear of stores with live animals or I would want to have them all!!!!

Not s intense but when I got my chinchilla Daisy from a pj's pets store, I asked whether the girl would recommend a male or female, I didn't want urine spray or to have to do hair ring checks haha. But the girl at the store didn't even know what a hair ring check was, and she told me females DON'T spray.
At the same pet store a few months later I was looking at a cute little male chinchilla who's poop was really mushy and greenish, I told the woman working there, and she hugged him. That's it. She hugged the chinchilla and left. Ummmm okay.. Poor thing, I really wanted to help.

Latest posts

Back