Temporary paralysis-mini seizure?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cremellomare

My chin Merlin has had a couple of incidence's over the past few days. On Sunday evening he was sitting on the bottom of cage oddly, kind of sprawled out, not really laying down but on all fours. His eyes were half closed and for him this is not normal. I was able to scoop him up easily which was my second clue, he is the wildest of our four. I held him for a few minutes, and he wasn't really stiff or limp, but didn't struggle at all. After a few minutes he perked up and tried to jump off my arms, and everything seemed fine after that. I thought maybe it was because of the temperature, it got up to 73 in the house. I turned the air on after that and cooled it down a bit.

This morning I was watching them and noticed Merlin was up by the food bowl which is on the top shelf, he was eating but then gradually started to collapse I guess is the best word for it, he had his head on the bowl, his eyes were half closed and he was just sitting there. Then it was like his hind end lost tone, it got flatter and his legs went out from under him. I went to go get him from the cage since he was on the top shelf and he used his front paws to drag himself toward the edge, he wasn't using his hind legs, and his eyes were still half closed. I picked him up and sat down and he tried to snuggle down in my arms and sat there quietly and then a few minutes later sat up and tried to escape. The temp was 68 this time. Called the vet but they are very busy and they said since it wasn't an emergency can't see him for a few days. Any ideas of what could be going on? If he changes they said to call them and let them know so they could try to see him sooner.

He is fed Manna Pro Show, apple sticks, water and timothy hay. Hasn't had any other treats in a while. Is eating and drinking.

How old and what color is the chin? Do you have any history on him? Chins can have epilepsy, if this were my chin I would video a seizure and take him and it to the vet for blood work-seizures can be caused by deficiency, genetics, brain cortex issues, trauma, parasites etc and different causes have different "looks".

He is 4-5 years old, we got him about a year ago off craigslist with another one. I have not seen this behavior before. Was told he was healthy before. He has been on the same feed since January when we switched to Manna Pro sho. I guess I was thinking it was like a petite mal seizure in people, because he just sits there and either stares off, or this morning went limp and couldn't use his hind legs. I have not seen him have an actual seizure with shaking. If he does it again I will video it. The first time I wasn't as concerned, but this morning has me worried, as I haven't really ever seen anyone mention temporary paralysis.

Seizures present in many ways, not just the violent shaking/freezing up we see in movies. It's very possible he is having seizures. I would agree with Ticklechin, get a video and take him to the vet.

I agree. It sounds like he may be having seizures. The video is a great idea. That way you can be sure that the vet understands what you're talking about.

I will if he does it again. He is a black velvet I think, a darker gray but doesn't have a while underbelly. Never really bothered to find out exactly what color he is since he just a loved pet. He was fine last night eating and coming to get his apple stick and jumping around like crazy.

Figured I would do a bit of an update. Vet appt. is rescheduled until the 7th of Dec. Have not seen him do anything odd lately but I don't watch him all the time either but he is acting normal.

I do have some questions though before the appointment.

Is there any treatment for epilepsy? How would the vet know he has that? Do they rule it out after doing bloodwork?

Ticklechin you mention a deficiency. Do you know of anything specific that would cause seizures? Do you mean a nutritional deficiency?

I am just concerned only because I don't know if this vet is any good with chins. They are an excellent clinic, I have used them with my rabbits and horse for years. They have quite a few vets on staff. I don't know of any other ones close by to me, other than in Grand Rapids, with is 3 hours south of here. Long way to drive this time of year. I'm open to other suggestions though if anyone knows of any closer ones.

Probably what Dawn was referring to:
http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835

"Thiamine Deficiency:
Required for normal carbohydrate metabolism and protein synthesis, thiamine or vitamin B1 deficiency causes reversible damage to peripheral motor nerves. Affected chinchillas may show neurologic signs such as trembling, circling, convulsions, or paralysis. Treatment consists of IM injections of thiamine or B-complex vitamins. Natural thiamine sources are found in leafy vegetables, high-quality hay, and wheatgerm meal, or supplements can be added to the diet (1 mg thiamine/kg feed). "

Calcium, thiamine and low blood sugar are deficiancy seizures, epilepsy can be treated by phenobarbital and valium, but if the seizures are not frequent and it is epilepsy the phenobarbital won't be used, just the valium to bring the chin out of the seizure.

Latest posts

Back