Temporary housing?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainierainbow

So I have one chin (dexter) and would like to know about temporary housing. On the weekends I have to go to my grandmas house, usually i just stock up on dexters food and have someone drive me home each day to check up on him. But that gets very annoying for them and I was thinking of ways to bring him to my grandmas without having to take his cage apart every Friday and lugging it around. One idea I came up with is a pet carrier, like a big solid one that you would use on a plane. Is it alright if I put his blanket, food and such in it? It would only be for a few days every week and I'm concerned because once when I checked on him it got too hot and he was overheating. Thanks for any help!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376168336.791567.jpg
Here is the carrier (can of beans for size)

I don't know how a chinchilla would react to the constant change in environment, but it would be able to chew through that carrier. Your best bet is to either get a friend to check in on your chinchilla during the weekends when you are gone. If you absolutely must bring him, try a collapsible cage or have a second cage that stays at your grandmother's.

Here is an example of a collapsible cage: http://www.cageworks.com/cages/40/product.php?id=754

A 2nd cage will work the best and will be the easiest to maintain. Why was he over heating? Do you have air conditioning?

I agree to the collapsible cage. During our last big storm we lost power (AC) and I put my chins in their coming home cage to stay in the basement overnight. Neither one would look at me or even take a treat for two days.

Well we do have ac and for a long time we had it on 24/7 but the bill was crazy expensive. It got pretty cool for about a week so we had the windows open and he was just fine. I went on a two day trip where a family friend stopped by to feed him and she called not knowing what to do because it suddenly got really warm. I had her turn on the ac an bring his cage downstairs and he was alright. I just never want that to happen again.

Chins don't accept change very well. At least mine don't. Definitely creatures of habit.

Back