Temp vs. Humidity

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TnkTaingTal

I have been having issues balancing temp and humidity in the chin room. The issue only occurs at night. I use an AC and Dehumidifier. During the day, the temp is between 63-66 and humidity 47-50%. I do not adjust the settings on either the AC or Dehumidifier, but some mornings ill wake up and the room is up to 72 with 50% humidity. Last night, i only ran the AC and the temp went up to 68 with humidity rising to 53%. I kept the dehumidifier off until about half way through the day when the humidity rose to 63% temp 61.

My main concern is that i am going away the 27th-30th and my neighbors will come by just to give fresh hay. I do not know if i should keep the dehumidifier on while we are gone and risk the temp rising to 72 (50% humidity) at night or keep it off and risk the humidity getting well over 60% (low 60s in temp) during the day. What would you do?

Is it possible to just run them both or are you afraid that your neighbors won't empty the dehumidifier? (My dehumidifier just runs on low constantly, but mine is in the basement and I have central air.) The a/c should be helping to dry the air. And you have it plenty cold. I'd get the humidity below 50 and temps around 70, if possible. Not sure if that helps.

Potentially dumb questions, but... Is it every night, or only on the nights when it rains? Have you cleaned the filter on the dehumidifier lately? How old is the unit?

You're going to be gone for 4 days and they are only going to give fresh hay? What about water and pellets?

Idgie : I run both the AC & Dehumidifier, but at night both struggle. The humidity gets above 50% and the temp gets to 70. If i just run the AC the humidity gets well above 60%, so I'm not sure what to do.
Airyn: It appears to happen on cool nights. Im thinking maybe the temp sensor is too close to outside, so the AC thinks its cold in the room when it is not.
Tunes: I meant it as in they will be in and out and not sticking around. Do you have any input on the question?

Thank you for your replies

Back