Teeth?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca

I've noticed that my chinchilla sometimes "squeaks" when she's eating treats, she also randomly squeaks a short while after eating and is still making a chewing motion. She does not like to be handled, so I can't physically check her teeth but I have been able to see that her teeth are not over grown, she still drinks and eats and poops. She has always had access to toys and chews to grind down her teeth. She has not been drooling, or pawing at her mouth. Just wondering what people think? At first I thought she was just eating too fast and catching her cheek or lip or something like what humans do when they rush their food, but now I'm not convinced.

The male sharing the cage with her (who is neutered, don't worry) does not squeak like she does but when he eats he will pick up a pellet, take one bite, drop it, pick up another, take one bite, drop it and so on.. The cage floor is covered in pellets and the bowl is often empty every morning when I fill it to the top on a night before... They are related (mother and son) so maybe they have some kind of teeth issues in their genes? I'm not sure.

Any form of information at this point will be extremely helpful.

Thanks!

When the squeek happens, does the chin drop what she is eating? Are these rescues? Do you have a scale you can weigh them in grams?

Nope, she squeaks then continues eating, she's always after more treats too! She can be greedy. I can't really weigh them cause I can't pick her up as she freaks out but I can feel that she's not over weight nor is she under weight, she has been the same size for years.

I wouldn't call her a "rescue" as such, my stepdad knew someone who couldn't look after her, so I took her on, she has always not like being handled as much as I've tried (had her 5 years now) but she's content. The owner didn't even know she was pregnant so she gave birth while I've had her and her baby (now 5 years old) is in great shape too.

If she does not drop what she is eating, I would say the issue is not with the teeth-dental chins will make a kack noise, drop what they are eating and mouth swipe several times, then run away. Its a pretty repetative for most dental chins to do this when there is something bothering them in the mouth. If she is trying to eat as fast as she can before the other chin gets food away from her it could be choke-I have seen them do it when they hoard food from other chins and eat as fast as they can and the food gets stuck in the back of the throat and they keep chewing to try to get it down. You might try two bowls on separate levels and give them nummies when they are on separate levels.

I will try two bowls thanks a bunch :) it's hard to give them treats separately cause they go to the same level as my hand no matter how sneaky I try to be! Thank you for the help, I was so worried it was something to do with her teeth. From what I can see they are a healthy yellow, not over grown and she still chews the wooden shelves like a little madam!

Latest posts

Back