teeth problem??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinny

My chin has done a mouth swipe for a while but after reading and posting I thought it wasn't a problem. Just recently it sounds like there is a grinding kind of sound when she eats. She seems to sit a little more than usual but I have moved her to another cage so it may be do to that. She does run around maybe just not as much as usual. She moves her mouth around as if she is eating something though she isn't. The one thing that has me really worried is that I give her bee pollen granules and she really loves them and gobbles them. Just now when I offered she came running but only ate a couple.
I have looked at her front teeth and they are short and even. I cannot see to her back teeth though. Without a vet trip and based on this information does this sound like Malo to you?
I understand to get this confirmed I would need to go to the vet but I was just wanting opinions.

Also, I haven't seen any hints of drooling. I don't know of any other signs to look out for.

I forgot to mention that it seems like there is a bump under her chin and between where I would think her teeth would be. I am not for sure what this is. I know bumps are a sign but I can't tell since this is underneath her chin if this is normal or not.

Last edited:
Do you weigh her on a regular basis? The first sign of teeth is gradual weight loss, if you do not have a gram scale, get one from someplace like Walmart in the kitchen department and start weighing the chin daily, the same time each day and record the weight-if you are getting loss, chin needs to go to the vet for a oral exam under gas and x-rays. The symptoms you list can be malo, or it could be nothing, the weight will give us a better idea. I will post a pic of a malo skull so you can see where malo bumps are located. Elongation can be silent until well advanced, so the bump you talk about does bother me.

Here are malo bumps

malo1.jpg

I have weighed her. Back around September I weighed her and she was around 635 if I recall and I weighed her yesterday. She weighed 607.
Thank you for the picture. Looking at it I am confused with how it matches up with the bump I feel on my chin. On her it feels like it is between her lower jaws. Not on the side like that.
I am just not for sure. She seems to be quieter and she doesn't seem to be eating but it is hard to judge since she likes to pull all of her food out.

I think going to the vet would make me feel better. Just so I know a hundred percent for sure. What exactly do I need to make sure the vet does? Do you agree I should take her?

How is the poo production and quality? If the chin goes to the vet, make sure it gets a exam under gas and x-rays, not just a look in the mouth awake with a otoscope.

I am the teeth paranoia queen, I would most likely take the chin to the vet.

yesterday when I was holding her and trying to look at her teeth I got to look at some and one was smaller than normal and they both were a little lighter brown than average as well.
I tried to get her to eat and since I don't have critical care I mashed her pellets up with water. She would not touch it. I then added some bee pollen that she LOVES and still no go. I tried all the treats. I know that she can't have them as her food but I wanted to see if she would eat anything or if she wasn't in the mood for regular food. I couldn't get her to eat anything but I piece of dried papaya.

Does all of this sound pretty bad as a conclusion? I know there isn't a guarantee but just to get an idea so I can be prepared when we go to the vet.

Take her to the vet and get some critical care. I would always keep a bag handy even if you have healthy chins you never know when you'll need it and it can be a pain to get. Hopefully your vet will have some. When she was eating was she picking up her pellets then dropping them, the vet told me this is an early sign of teeth issues and since then I've noticed my boy does this before his drooling starts. I would make an appointment as soon as possible since she isn't eating.

If I recall she would drop some but that was the one she was holding. It wasn't like it was in her mouth and she let it fall out. It always seemed to me she didn't want it anymore cause she might go pick up a different one and she would sift through them. She doesn't drool but I guess she doesn't have to for her to have problems.
Yes. I am going to get her an app. I know she is drinking and she chews on wood or pumice when she wants but that isn't going to do her any good. That makes me think that her incisors aren't hurting though.

We shall see I suppose. Thanks for all the help. I will update as soon as possible.

Maybe she has points?

I'm going through that with Lilo right now. She stopped eating, but didn't show any other signs of dental issues (no drooling or anything). I took her to the vet to get checked out and then had them filed down. It'd be a good idea to get CC and a syringe incase that's the outcome. Keep an eye on her weight, too. Lilo lost a lot of weight between the few days she stopped eating, and even up to 2 weeks after I was handfeeding. I've just now started getting her to gain some weight back...so hopefully we're on the road to recovery!

Sending good luck vibes!!

Everything is good! He took xrays and the teeth were even across and there wasn't any elongation. He gave her a little Ivermectin by mouth. He felt for GI statis and couldn't come up with anything there. When I brought her home and I gave her some food she started to eat through some. So we will see.
Thanks ya'll!

Latest posts

Back