teeth issues

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For right now just make sure you are hand feeding him so he does not lose weight and is not hungry but be preprared for a filing if it goes on for more than a couple more weeks. Teeth issues suck, I feel for you in your situation just having a chin with teeth problems and I hope things get better for you soon.

Thank you, I just feel like I'm drowning. He's eating more from the food dish each day and last night he wasn't dropping the food when he ate but he still looks for the syringe so whenever he goes to the spot I feed him from I get up and get the critical care. He's acting like himself, chasing Andy and peeing in his dust bath while glaring at me, he's a bit of an a**. If he keeps eating critical care like he is he'll be the fattest chinchilla on the face of the planet soon, he's eating about 30mls a feeding 5 times a day and 5mls at a time here and there inbetween feedings, then eating regular food and hay. His butt's not going to fit on the wheel if he keeps it up. The drooling isn't bad, but there's still some around the corner of his mouth on the left side, just alittle. Dr. Goode texted me last night and I told her what was going on. I told her I'd see how he did this weekend then if needed make an appointment for him next week. I'm praying it'll stop this weekend, I don't know how much longer my parents will shell out money for him, my mom hasn't had a paycheck come in for 6 weeks due to an accident. I love him so much I'll do anything for him but I can't make $400 appear out of thin air.

teeth trimmed today

Hi all,

So today my wife brought in Blackie (our chinchilla) because we noticed that he was drooling from the mouth, causing the fur under his chin to become wet (for the past 2 days). He was also grinding his teeth. Today he spent a lot of time with the vet. He was put under to have his back teeth trimmed because they were too long, causing a lot of pain. An x-ray was also taken (I will be getting a copy tomorrow of the photos). The Dr. said it was nothing more than a case of his teeth being trimmed. Malocclusion was not mentioned at all.

We now have him back home as we are keeping a close eye on his behavior. I'm sure that he is completely frightened from earlier today.

He is extremely sluggish. We gave him some critical care once we arrived at home. Since then, (approx. 5+ hours)I have noticed that he is not pooping. I'm not sure if this is due to the anesthesia remaining in his system, causing constipation.

We would appreciate any comments or suggestions. I'm going to get the Dr. on the phone in the early morning.

Thanks forum!

How was the chin put under? Was is gas? Gas should leave the system within a few min and should not have lasting side effects unless there was a complication. Some chins do not do well with their first filing, also some vets are not good at doing it so there can be alot of pain. Chin should have had metecam prescribed for pain to be given for a few days after. How is the chin this morning, do you have poo?

My vet held Bugs most of the day when he had his teeth done. They called me when he was up and about and pooping. it was about 5 hours - he was still sluggush at that point but moving around.

That said last week he was back at the vet for a broken toe and he was sluggushe all day and night after the visit. I had to remember that keeping him up all day is the same as me beign up all night - I get tired, cranky etc and it takes a good night (or day in their case) of sleep to feel OK again. And even then they probbly don't feel great because they still have pain from whatever caused to vet visit to beging with.

he should have Metacam - and hopfully they gave you Critical care to feed him as he may not want to eat pellets for a while (but keep them in his cage).

How's he doing today?

Hi ticklechin & partygirlha!

First, thanks for responding.

I'm pretty sure that Isoflurane was used to put Blackie under. I don't have the paperwork on me right now but I will verify if when I get home. This is his first filing and I was not given Metacam. Not sure why. Should I go ahead and ask for it? However, I do have the Critical care and already started feeding him yesterday. his pellets are still in the cage. What do you recommend for dosage, how much per day?

He finally started to poo this morning and it seemed a bit dry. He is still very weak and I see it in his eyes that he's not feeling well at all.

Thank you all for your concern.

I will report back tonight.

Yes. Isoflurane was used.

Dr. orders suggest that we give him 50ml of CC a day. I forgot to mention in my previous post that he is breathing very rapidly beyond his norm and it doesn't look like it has returned to normal since the procedure. He's still very lethargic.

Do you think that he is getting enough fluids just from the CC?

Again, thank you all!

After doing some more research on the forums, I noticed that sub q fluids are being used in addition to CC. I just want to make sure that he is consuming enough fluids daily. I tried giving him some water through the syringe as well today.

I'd like to get some motility drugs on hand in case he stops pooping completely.In addition, do you recommend simethicone?

remember that just a day at the vet can take a while to recover from - like I said earlier - it keeps them up all day and that's just like you being up all night - it takes a while to recover from. by now he should be feeling better from the visit. But it may take a few days before he feels like homself after the filing. Weak is NOT a good sign. Tired and grumpy is different. if he's weak call the vet ASAP.
Oh and poo may be odd for a few days... esp as his diet adjusts to CC and then back to pelets. But if it looks really off, again call the vet.

As for teh metacam - I'd call the vet and ask about it if he's not eating on his own.

As for the critical care - I say get as much in him as he's willing to take. Other's may have more specific info, but in general I think chins who need a trimming tend to be a bit under ideal weight so I don't think you can over do the feeding in the week after. I've heard soem people say the measue pellets and when they notice the pellets going down between critical care feedings, that's when they stop feeding the critical care.

I was approved for unemployment and got my first check so Scamp had xrays today, Dr Goode is sending them to a radiologist to read them, there may be a problem with the bottom roots. I'll post when I know what the results are.

Latest posts

Back