Teeth issues and x-ray

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuddlebug

Hey, everyone.

I have been in touch with a chin owner whose chin has issues with dental infections, eye infections and spurs on teeth. I have posted the x-rays and would like to know what those if you with more experience think. She is taking the chin in to get the teeth trimmed on 2 days. She could also use some suggestions on a good chin vet who knows teeth in the So. Cal, area.

Thanks

Attachments

• 1BUBBLE-1 (2).jpg
    1BUBBLE-1 (2).jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 1BUBBLE-2 (2).jpg
    1BUBBLE-2 (2).jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 34
Pretty advanced elongation in my opinion, the lower roots look like they are almost ready to breach, the uppers already look like they have breached the eye socket. There are points, and it looks like some infection on the lower teeth. A mess that frankly needs to have the quality of life considered. If this was my chin it would be put down, mainly due to the elongation.

Thanks, Dawn. I thought so, too. I broke the bad news to her. Her vet thinks regular trimmings will help, but we both know it won't. At least she contacted me and I had your help. I really appreciate it and I think she does, too. Now she can make an informed choice as to what needs to be done.

The sucky part of elongation is it can be silent as far as pain goes until it is well advanced so the vet is "correct" to some point, sure you can trim off the nasty points and even out the occlusion but the damage is done. For how long will the issue remain stable is anyone's guess but the chin will still either die or be put down and the road down hill will be harsh.

ugh, still breaks my heart everytime I see this occur - no matter how many times that may be. My experience with vets when I was trying to find out what was wrong with Tilly was that they did not all seem to be as concerned with root elongation, and wanted to trim anyway

I was going to say the Ticklechin is pretty good in looking at x-rays. I go to her for advice with teeth problems.

Greek & Assoc in Yorba Linda is probably the best exotic vet there is in So CA. There are some others but my 1st choice is Dr. Greek.

The chin has had the teeth trimmed. Her owner told the vet what Dawn said and the decision was made to see how she does once she is over the trimming. If she still see,s to be in pain, the chin will be put down. Her owner does not want her to suffer. She said to thank all of you for your helpm especially Dawn.

Back