teeth filing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andymilo

hey everyone,

i posted in an earlier thread about my chinny's eye infection...well it turns out that the leaky eye was caused by pain she was having from her teeth...the vet said that her bottom back teeth were growing sharp ends towards her tongue causing her pain...he filed the teeth down and said she should start eating her hay again soon...if not to bring her back next week for anesthesia and an xray to get a full picture of her mouth...he said it appears to be a mild problem and that her top teeth look great...he also gave me some critical care to feed her in case she continues to not eat her hay...unfortunately she has lost some weight...so i'm hoping she will put it back on and everything will be ok...her energy is still high so i'm hoping it remains a mild problem...if anyone has any advice or anything please let me know...thank you

Some eat right after a filing, some won't eat for a week or so. I usually will feed for a day or so after a filing if the chin does not have malo and just has a couple of points, then wean off as I watch the food intake and the weight daily. Weight gain takes time, now that you are aware of the problem weighing the chin on a regular basis is needed in order to watch for when the points come back-it could be 4 weeks, it could be a year, you just cannot predict chins who get points how often the filings will be, you just watch for slow gradual weight loss and mouth swiping.

thank your for your help...i did feed her about 10cc of critical care...it was my first time so it was quite hard....i'm hoping she ingested quite a bit of it...i will do it again tonight...she is sitting with her mouth open and drooling a little...i'm assuming cause she's in a little pain from the filing...i'm hoping she will start eating soon...

do you recommend vitamin c tablets? i've been reading that they can help and prevent spurs?

There is only anecdotal evidence that Vit c helps the connective tissue, Me I believe it since I had seen improvment but there is no scientific evidence. It can't hurt especially when given as a treat in the form of rose hips. If your chin is not eating at all after the filing you should try to get at least 60 ml a day into the chin, they can eat around 20ml at one sitting when motivated.

i have run out of rosehips but i've read about a chewable tablet..is there a specific kind for chinchillas or is it the same we eat? i checked the back of jamieson 500mg tablets and they have rosehip as an ingredient..is that allowed? these tablets also have sugar though...it says 1g of sugar per tablet...

i will definitely be upping the critical care next time i do it (in a couple of hours)

Last edited:
Its better to not feed a tab with sugar in it, there are chewable tabs that have no sugar but in Canada I can't tell you a brand, maybe some of our canadian members can help.

Latest posts

Back