Teeth extraction

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pae

Our six year old chinchilla, Kimchi, started drooling about 3 weeks ago. We took her to our exotics vet who removed a small spur from her teeth. When she continued to drool and stopped eating altogether after 2 days, we brought her back. The vet put her under general anaesthesia and did a thorough oral exam, took x-rays and drew blood for blood work.

The results:
Oral exam--The vet found a few more small spurs which she removed. She also noted a slightly dark circle around one of the molars which was suggestive of tooth decay/necrosis. There were no sores or inflammation in the mouth.
Blood work--The findings revealed slight elevations in ALT and a slightly reduced white blood count. She said they were so slight that she would have discounted them if Kimchi was otherwise healthy; however, under the conditions, they are suggestive of a possible infection.
X-rays--I spoke to both vets about these. They explained them to me by comparing to normal x-rays. Even to my untrained eye, I could see abnormal root growth virtually throughout the mouth, except for the incisors. However, both vets stressed that the abnormalities were subtle. One thought they were sufficient to possibly cause some pain/discomfort while the other did not.

We waited for a few days after the second visit to see if the removal of the spurs would lead to an improvement. When it did not, we started Kimchi on Metacam. Throughout this time, we have been feeding her Critical Care which she accepts readily and she is holding her weight. She has been on Metacam for almost 2 weeks now and it led to an improvement in drooling and she perked up to almost her usual energy level but she is still unwilling to eat on her pellets and hay.

Going forward, our options are:
1. Continuing on Metacam (and Critical Care) indefinitely. We haven't discussed this with our vets so we don't know if this is a viable option. Does anyone have experience with long-term use of Metacam (or any other painkiller)?
2. Doing a trial of an antibiotic. This seems a bit of a shot in the dark to me but I would like to hear your opinions.
3. Tooth extraction. We don't know if we want to go down this road as there are abnormalities throughout the mouth. One of the vets think that the tooth showing signs of decay may be the main cause of the current problems...but then again, it might not be. Does anyone have any experience with extractions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1. Continuing on Metacam (and Critical Care) indefinitely. We haven't discussed this with our vets so we don't know if this is a viable option. Does anyone have experience with long-term use of Metacam (or any other painkiller)?

Long-term use of Metacam can cause liver damage. I'm not sure what other pain killer would do the job as well though.

2. Doing a trial of an antibiotic. This seems a bit of a shot in the dark to me but I would like to hear your opinions.

If there was an abscess, maybe. But just like in humans, if there is actual tooth decay antibiotics aren't going to do a thing for it.

3. Tooth extraction. We don't know if we want to go down this road as there are abnormalities throughout the mouth. One of the vets think that the tooth showing signs of decay may be the main cause of the current problems...but then again, it might not be. Does anyone have any experience with extractions?

I know of someone who did tooth extractions, even after being warned not to by many experienced members here. Her chin had to be PTS, even after putting her through all of that. She also had root elongation. I personally would not recommend this. I am not a dental expert, but again comparing to humans, I'm going to assume that when you remove teeth, other teeth will shift to fill in the area that is empty. It also can make the opposing tooth start to come down (or up) because there is nothing to chew against, which would cause uneven and abnormal chewing.

I cannot believe that a tooth that has decay is causing roots to grow. I also can't believe that it would be causing tooth spurs, especially since she isn't chewing basically. Not a lot of work goes into chewing critical care. Mostly I see my chins roll it around on their tongues and swallow.

I am not a huge fan of continually prolonging a chin life by having it's teeth filed every 5 minutes. It's hard on them and some chins just don't spring back as well as others. If your chin is already at the stage where she cannot eat her pellets because of the pain caused by the root elongation, you need to consider quality of life versus quantity. If she's holding her own for now with the critical care, and doesn't seem to be in horrible pain, then if it was me (and this is just my opinion) I would wait until she could no longer eat or appeared to be in pain more often than not, and then I would make a choice based on her quality of life. Again, this comes from someone who is not a fan of putting a chin through continual tooth trimmings for something that can never, ever be fixed. You can keep her on Metacam for now, if you know what your choice will be when the time comes, but for me it would not be an option to keep her on Metacam long-term.

I may or may not be the person refered to above, but I have made the wrong decisions hindsight dealing with malocclusion, including the elective tooth extractions, long term use of metecam and other experimental treatments. They don't work and only prolong the inevitable while putting the chin through something they cannot articulate, if they are in pain or not. I would not put a chin through it again and I didn't with the last malo chin that was PTS after visiting the dentist only a couple of times, it was pointless. If your chin is still being chin like right now you don't have to make any hard decisions right away, but long term care IMO is not a option.

No Dawn, not referring to you. Some else a bit more recent.

Well, I still don't know if I am doing the right thin or not. Chilli has been on Metacam on and off since August. His last bloodwork was good, no liver or kidney problems. It has been hard to decide because other than knowing he is in pain because he is not eating much on his own, he is still a little booger. He wall surfs, he grumbles at Pepper, he still gives me that "face". It just isn't his time yet.

my chin is on long term pain meds, but not metacam......he takes them daily, although the dosage is cut in half. and somedays i back it down even more. i do hand feed him daily more out of habit and keeping his weight up.
BUT.........he is NOT drooling, does not grind his teeth, will eat treats & soft wood, nibbles on pellets & hay occassionally. His last tooth filing was in August. I plan on getting him a follow up exam soon as he was first diagnosed a little over 1 year ago.
he is very "chin like"......in fact he is my heaviest chin and actually close to the weight he was when he was first diagnosed. he is very mischievious and playful. and i love him to pieces. i do not regret one thing i have done nor one of the thousands of dollars i have spent.
that all being said.............i would not put him thru more frequent filings and would not recommend extraction.
good luck. it is very difficult to make these decsions. i am sure you will make the right one.

There are two different types of malo. One involves the roots, one involves the surface. Surface malo is generally where you see the tooth spurs. There are chins who have had an occasional spur who do not have malocclusion, but usually once the spur is taken care of, then it's a done deal. If you have to repeatedly have to have spurs removed, then I would consider it malocclusion of the surface of the teeth.

Malocclusion basically means the teeth have an abnormal chewing pattern. When the teeth come together, they don't meet the way they should which means the spurs form from uneven chewing.

Technically, if you go strictly by the definition of malocclusion, elongated roots would be considered separate from malo (with root elongation in most cases considered the worst of the two types), but we generally lump them in together as "tooth issues".

Thanks for your feedback. We are going to eliminate extraction as an option.

Just as clarification, our vets did not think the root prolongation and tooth decay are related problems but, rather, that Kimchi has 2 separate issues going on.

Kimchi has not had any health issues, teeth or otherwise, all her life but her first problem is the big M :( With Metacam, she is almost normal. She plays and she still eats treats, both hard (e.g. vitamin C) and soft (e.g. dried cranberries). She clearly has her appetite as she eagerly takes Critical Care but she only picks through her hay (she strews it all about so it's hard to see if or how much she is actually eating) and pecks at her pellets (she has eaten 6 gm this week to date), so there is evidently some residual pain/discomfort.

We're going to adopt a watch and wait approach. If her quality of life deteriorates, we know what we have to do.

Mishellyshel, can you tell me what pain medication your chin is on and how it is dosed?

Richie is on Tramadol. It is traditionally prescribed to humans for arthritis,fibromyalgia, trigeminal neuralgia and other illness that the patient experiences mild to moderate pain. it is an opiate & can be addictive. Is has to be compounded in a pharmacy and flavored. His original dosage, was based on a weight of 640 grams and he was to get 0.15 cc 2 times per day. i currently give him .05 - .10 2 times a day or sometimes 1 time per day. his current weight is 715 grams. his lowest weight during his illness was 603 grams.
i am not sure that it is any better in terms of side effects and/or long term effects versus metacam, however it has been used by vets for a while now and if you do a search online you can find out more info to present to Kimchi's vet.

One thing with opiates is they can slow down the contractions of the GI tract, so special attention needs to be given to the poo watch.

good point........i should have mentioned that in addition to the tramadol i also have a prescription for cisapride. i do give him that only at night, .10 dose. when first prescribed it was able to give him larger dose several times a day. now i kinda use it as maintenance. i also use lifeline at least 2 times per day. if she ships to canada, you should really look into it Pae. It's good stuff. a very nice supplement. here is her website:

http://www.chocolatechinchillas.com/

This is have I have done for Scamps. Most of his back teeth have rotted and fell out, some had to be removed. Some after 2 yrs are now growing back. He goes to the vet every 5-6 months to be checked, filed and have bloodwork done as he is 13 is old. Because he has no teeth he cannot eat hay. I grind up his pellets and old fashioned oatmeal using a coffee grinder. I mix 1tbsp pellets and 1 tbsp oatmeal with water to make a crumbly mixture. He gets this twice a day, every day. He gets lifeline everyday.
It was touch and go with him in the beginning. He was on baytril for 6 weeks becase the infection had spread to his jaw. Forcefeeding for 2-3 months. It was a very long road, but I had to try. Not all chin dental problems turn out as well as Scamps did. Had he not started to bounce back as well as he did, I would have had him euthanized.

wow pam! 13. that is awesome. does scamp eat the mix from a bowl?? or do you handfeed him? i may have to try that as I would love richie to eat a little more on his own.

i also crush up richie's pellets in the grinder, i mix in a little crushed rose hips for extra vitamin C & to make is taste a little better. i then mix filtered water & a dab of baby food squash to make it a bit smoother and i hand feed him.
plus lifeline 2 times a day. 1.0 full cc each time.

also about 1 or 2 times per week i give him a vitamin c tab. i cut it in half, so he only gets 1/2 and he is able to eat it which is good........uses his teeth a bit!

wow pam! 13. that is awesome. does scamp eat the mix from a bowl?? or do you handfeed him? i may have to try that as I would love richie to eat a little more on his own.

Scamps eats off a small ceramic plate. He can't eat his mix from a bowl. He gets crushed rosehips and alfalfa leaves/dust a few times a week. He can still chew his sticks and toys. The only times I hand feed is if he's going to the vet the next week or if he's sick. We just went thru an upper respiratory issue 3 weeks ago with everyone in the house so all the chins were getting force fed. I have to mix the oatmeal in or he won't eat just the pellet mix. At his age, whatever makes him happy!

Back