Teenage Years

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LibbyLou93

I always hear of these "teenage" chinchillas and how they act out in those months. Well I'd like to know when this occurs and what it may entail?:)

I always hear of these "teenage" chinchillas and how they act out in those months. Well I'd like to know when this occurs and what it may entail?:)

I think every chin is different, but here's what I've experienced. Pythagoras is almost 2 years old, and I haven't noticed any changes in his personality since he was a kit.

Lily always had an attitude, and the older she got it became worse. She'd bite, kack, and spray if you just looked at her the wrong way.

I've noticed the most change in Lady. She used to be very easy going, and you could do almost anything with her. She's still a sweetheart but she's developed quite the attitude. Everything has to be on her terms. If I'm scritching her the wrong way she'll kack or push my fingers away. If she doesn't think she's getting enough attention she'll shake the cage bars and chew the spring that hold her lid on. If I think she's had enough playtime, but she's not ready to go home, I get sprayed. The most annoying thing by far is that she started digging a few months ago. I fill her bowl up, she digs her pellets out; I put a clean liner in, she digs half of it up; I let her out for playtime, she tries to dig the carpeting up from where it meets the wall. :wacko: She's not even 2 yet so I know I'm in for several more years of this. I'm also preparing for Latte to pick up on this behavior when they're introduced...sigh.

My boys are almost 8 months old and I'd say it started about a month ago, my feisty Fivel has just become more rambunctious and impatient. They both seem to have temper tantrums when they dont get what they want, digging at my hand, pushing me away, rattling the cage door with their mouth, nibbling me, and bouncing around to emphasize their point. They also have decided to be Evel Kneivel and take death defying leaps and try to squeeze into impossibly small spaces. Crazy sneaks. They're a ball of fun and clearly love me, but I can't wait for them to mellow out a bit.

I know each chin is different and it obviously starts at different times but is there any idea of what length of time it seems to last that you've seen in your experience?

I know each chin is different and it obviously starts at different times but is there any idea of what length of time it seems to last that you've seen in your experience?

I've heard that puberty can last for 4-5 years. My oldest chin is about to celebrate his 2nd birthday so I haven't made it to the other side yet. I've also been told several times that boys mello out more then the girls, again I have no personal experience to back that up.

Crash went from "Wuv me?" to "B**** I do wha' I wan'!" He's 3 and still has that "I don't need you" attitude. Cervantes too, went from a "Mother may I?" polite little boy to James Dean "Rebel w/out a Cause", tearing around the cage, Spiderchin climbing up the bars, picking fights w/ Crash. Not sure if he's changed any in the last 2 years since my ex kept him, but I hope he has b/c he got to be quite a handful at times.

Part of it is just becoming comfortable in their environment and part of it is hormones. I would assume that the hormones part is worse in some ways when there are both sexes in the same home/barn. The behavior changes I saw were mostly dominance-related, though around 8 mo. or so I saw the need to start providing a "cuddle" buddy for Cervantes to save me from having to wash his fleece hammock every... single... night. (I even told him he'd wear it out, grow hair on his palms, and go blind, but he didn't listen.) However, I also have only males b/c I didn't want to deal w/ more frequent hormone related mood swings in females. One of us PMSing in the house is enough thankyouverymuch.

To sum up chinchilla teenage years "Bad Chin".

Crash went from "Wuv me?" to "B**** I do wha' I wan'!" "Mother may I?" polite little boy to James Dean "Rebel w/out a Cause", tearing around the cage, Spiderchin climbing up the bars, picking fights w/ Crash.

The behavior changes I saw were mostly dominance-related, though around 8 mo. or so I saw the need to start providing a "cuddle" buddy for Cervantes to save me from having to wash his fleece hammock every... single... night. (I even told him he'd wear it out, grow hair on his palms, and go blind, but he didn't listen.) However, I also have only males b/c I didn't want to deal w/ more frequent hormone related mood swings in females. One of us PMSing in the house is enough thankyouverymuch.

:rofl::hilarious::laughitup:

If I'm scritching her the wrong way she'll kack or push my fingers away. If she doesn't think she's getting enough attention she'll shake the cage bars and chew the spring that hold her lid on. ..The most annoying thing by far is that she started digging a few months ago. I fill her bowl up, she digs her pellets out; I put a clean liner in, she digs half of it up; I let her out for playtime, she tries to dig the carpeting up from where it meets the wall.

I've had some of this with my D'Artagnan. He was always my "grumpy" chin but now a days I'm not sure who is winning the war. At some point he decided it was great fun to tip over his bowl. He would get on top of it and it looked like he was flipping it with his back feet. So I got one that attaches to the cage. So now he just flings the food out. I'll sit there and watch him, after he does it once I tell him to stop it. He mad dog stink eyes me and does it again....without breaking eye contact.:impatient: He also chatters non stop, I swear it sounds like a list of complaints. Again if i tell him to stop, he pauses and then kinda "screw you lady, I'm NOT HAPPY!" :tantrum:And boy will he not come out of the cage unless under his own power. If i block the way he's like a bull pawing the ground. Throwing bedding behind him. Or he redirects his anger and bites the bedding and throws it to the side. I thought it was just him but if the teenage years do at some point END there may be hope eh? Although he is barely two...le sigh. At least all his brother does is use me as a look out post during play time and tug at my hand if i block something.

If i block the way he's like a bull pawing the ground. Throwing bedding behind him.

Ahaha!! Chloe does this too. Probably recently as I don't recall her doing it when she first got here but she has become a lot more sociable and less timid as a result of settling in. I never pay much attention to her freak outs now and she eventually stops.

I just thank god she's never sprayed me and hopefully never will. If she does anything else, I can deal with it but I would not be happy if I got sprayed on.

Crash went from "Wuv me?" to "B**** I do wha' I wan'!" He's 3 and still has that "I don't need you" attitude. Cervantes too, went from a "Mother may I?" polite little boy to James Dean "Rebel w/out a Cause", tearing around the cage, Spiderchin climbing up the bars, picking fights w/ Crash. Not sure if he's changed any in the last 2 years since my ex kept him, but I hope he has b/c he got to be quite a handful at times.

Part of it is just becoming comfortable in their environment and part of it is hormones. I would assume that the hormones part is worse in some ways when there are both sexes in the same home/barn. The behavior changes I saw were mostly dominance-related, though around 8 mo. or so I saw the need to start providing a "cuddle" buddy for Cervantes to save me from having to wash his fleece hammock every... single... night. (I even told him he'd wear it out, grow hair on his palms, and go blind, but he didn't listen.) However, I also have only males b/c I didn't want to deal w/ more frequent hormone related mood swings in females. One of us PMSing in the house is enough thankyouverymuch.

:rofl:
Sombra is at that stage where if "you don't pay attention to me then I'll make you pay attention to me." She will climb around her cage and take the food out of her bowel (which is a new one). Durring play time I'll read her things (typically forums on this site :neener:) and if I stop reading oooy vey. Starts talking to me saying "mommy keep reading to me please"
Dont even get me started ony my boyfriend, if he isnt paying any attention to her she gives a fit!!

Pythagoras is almost 2 years old, and I haven't noticed any changes in his personality since he was a kit.

Awesome name, :thumbsup:

When I first got my chins (boy and girl, before I knew they were boy and girl), they were in the same cage, my standard girl was quite friendly and the mosaic "boy" not so much. Then once I separated them, the personalities reversed; now Sappho (my standard) can be very fussy and runs if I touch her bum when she's got it facing me (like she gives me a choice, :rolleyes:), and now Confucius--mosaic--looooves to be petted, even when he's sleeping. He's also never bitten me, and Sappho has at least once...hard.

I've only had them a month. Is it normal for the behavior to change so quickly, and do you think they'll change it up again? They're about 5months and 4months old.

I've only had Chinchy for a few months but he definitely gets grouchy if he isn't let out a few times a night (play time is in the same room as his cage so we open the door and he gets out and in on his own terms). He'll shake the cage with his teeth when we walk by, start pop corning impatiently in his cage, and if all else fails, he'll start to rearrange his cage, flipping his willow tunnel around, dismantle his hidey house and further destroy his timothy hay lounger.

He's about 1 and a half, I believe. And adorable in his stubbornness.

Last edited:
Sombra does this especially when my bf walks by. She LOOOOOVES him its quite cute actually. When he plays guitar she runs over stands on her hind legs and tries to pluck the strings :D

One of my chins Ezio is about 6-7 months and now has a habit that if he doesn't get to go out for the entier day and night he will wake me up in the morning to get my attention to go out. :hair:

Back