Techniques to train to use wheel?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WEFA_in_Me

Chinchillaholic
My chin was adopted, and I just recently bought him a wheel from forchinatechins. I don't think he knows how to use it. I find the occasional poo on it, but I know he is not actually using it. It seems like it would be fairly loud when I rotate it with my hand. I've gotten him to jump off of it by trying to entice with an apple stick or a bamboo chew, but he still isn't using it. I think he might be a bit scared of it because the first night I put him in the new cage with it, he jumped from the hammock to the top of it and slid down between it and the door two or three times, making a loud noise.

Any suggestions on trying to get him to use it more?

Okay, thanks. :) I am just so impatient since he has had it for a month now. I want to see my chinny running like all get out and being happy. I love those videos.

He'll be waking you up in the middle of the night, running crazy on it, in no time. One of my chins "got" the wheel within a couple days, but the guy before him had it for a couple months and only sat on it up to that point. ;)

This is not to cause alarm... But I would put a ledge above the wheel. To where it almost contacts the wheel, and is the same length as the wheel diameter. And remove any ledges near the sides of the wheel, that would inspire him to attempt a jump. Chins are clumsy... And they have broken legs and worse in this setup.
:hmm:Imagine running and jumping onto a skateboard and it slips out from under you.
Now imagine the same scenario, except the skate board is on the edge of your roof, and there is a 1foot gap between the roof and a chainlink fence to fall into.

Thats going to hurt no matter how graceful you think you are. :wacko:

And Stackie is right... If there is too much resistance on those lazy susan bearings, they wont run on it. Buy some "Food Grade" silicone lube, they use it in factory's that process food as per Health Dept. Regulation.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back