Techniques for hand feeding chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokei

Hi,

I need advice on how to hand feed/force feed a chin to make sure I'm doing it right and effectively. While I'm feeding Pancake, most of his food does not get into him. I've tried doing the burrito, feeding him when he approaches me while he's running around, cradling him, having the bf hold him while I use the syringe....

Also, I stick the syringe on the side of his mouth behind the incisors point it to the other side of his mouth, not towards his throat. I inject a bit of food there, and wait for him to eat it. I'm worried about choking him accidently, so let me know if this is alright.

Thanks

the 2nd one is a perfect example of a squirmy chin and how patience pays offs. what a cutie.

those are great. i feed mine from the other side! and i dont lay him on his back he actually sits up. i also always keep a damp paper towel near by for messes and a towel on my lap so i dont get it all over me. i also fill all my syringes with food & meds and lay them in front of me.
if i knew how to post a video i would take one of my method as another option. i hope others post theirs. it is always good to have lots of different ways to try, especially if you have a difficult chin.

I have saved this old PM I wrote. And yes I know what you mean about food everywhere. I am glad that pellets don't have green dye in them or I would probably still be stained green.

I have just finished giving baytril and hand feeding two of my boys, it was my first time also, Here is what we did. First, I didn't have a coffee grinder but a 1 cup chopper from Wal-mart. I worked fine if I only chopped a very small amount at one time, like 1/8 of a cup of their pellets. Kept those in a sandwich baggie. I didn't measure out the ingredients, just added about 1+ TBS prune puree from human baby food, 1+TBS plain pumpkin puree, 1 TBS molasses and about 1/2 cup chopped chin pellets. I mixed it with distilled water, a dash at a time to get the consistency just right. That will make plenty of food for several feedings, kept in the fridge up to two days. The 60 ml syringe has a bigger "spout? hole?" at the bottom that I liked much better then the smaller syringes. Adding water made the food so cold I decided I would heat the mixture a little. I had a large plastic tumbler 32oz maybe which I half filled with warm water then I nuked it for 1 minute. I put the food filled syringe in the plastic "container thingy" in came in and I put it in the hot water for about 5 minutes. Always squirt out the food from the tip of the syringe because it will be hotter, then test the food temp on the inside of your wrist, it should only be slightly warm. Never microwave the food, that can make scorching hot spots!! Tibbit and Joey said they want to give advice also.
Tibbit: I heard mommy talking on the phone with someone who said after awhile their chins just flipped over waiting to be fed. Oohh I flipped over alright, but only to bite the crud out of mommy....Hehehe I am soooo BAD!
Joey: Mommy used a fleece blanket to wrap me for feeding, she said I was a very lucky chin to have my very own snuggie and very stylish. Oh reeaally! I kack every time I see a snuggie commercial, they should be outlawed

Just occasionally they make it easy for us ...........

This is dear Maya who was owned by my good friend, Debbie, but spent her last few months at Monty's Manor. Maya had an amazing attitude to life & as you can see from the video, she was quite the madam - check out the demanding paw action while my friend is re-filling the syringe - obviously not fast enough for Madam Maya's liking. :laughitup:

Thanks everyone so much for the advice! I fed Pancake a few times already using the technique in the vid....and it's working MUCH better :) I'm surprised after a while he gives up fighting and laps it up.

I got roughly 30mL of CC in him, I'm going to do a few more feedings tonight.

Thanks again :)

Latest posts

Back