Teaching a Chin to use wheel?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle43

How did you all teach your chin to use a wheel?

Mine is 4-5 years old and has never had a wheel. I put his in a week ago and he avoids it. I tried putting his treats on the wheel but he just grabs it and takes it away. He doesn't seem interested at all?

Any tips?

What type of wheel do you have? I only have chin spins and my chins took to it right away, but I heard that some chins take longer to learn to use flying saucers.

i've read that some chins (though not many) don't ever care for a wheel. some care for only one type of wheel.

i'd give him some more time, a week isn't very long.

I bought a silver surfer for one of my chins who had never had a proper wheel either (she's around 4). She's had it for 6 months or so now, and I have yet to see her use it. If you figure it out, Michelle, lemme know!

For the first week mine used the wheel like a swing -_-
He figured it out afterwards

I have a wheel in my cage with 4 boys, only the 2 year old boys use it. Sammy (5) won't use it except to lay Playchin style on top, and Joey (8?) will stand in it rarely. Momma chin (6) loves her wheel. And Doesha (7?) started using his once in a while after a few months. I don't know any tricks except to never give up and just keep it in there, also I do think they are encouraged by watching another chin do it.

Oh I read once someone was having the same problem and wondered if they chin understood because he never saw the chin run

Apparently he walked in on him running soooo the chin had been running all this time in secret =P

Obviously the chin gave the owner the stink eye, last I read the chin was now willing to run when owner is present

I guess just be patient. My boy who had a wheel was Lucky, he had a flying saucer. It took him about 6 weeks to figure it out. At one point he'd lie on a hammock above it and turn it with his front paws...lol. Once he figured it he used to run for hours a day. He loved his wheel :-(

I got a metal flying saucer wheel for my boy as well. It took him a week or two to figure out what it was for. He did that same thing with treats, and would also use it like a swing when he finaly got on. But eventuly he got the hang of it.
Its a large new item in his cage that he has to get used to. I wouldnt force it to hard.

I have a flying saucer, and it took my chin awhile to figure out she was supposed to run on it. But one day, she did figure it out on her own, probably by accident, and has used it every day since.

You can sit him on it and move it just a bit.
Use your like your hand is running it.

Are you sure he isn't using it while you are asleep, not in the room, etc?
When I first got Tucker, he would not use him wheel if I was in the room. If he was on it when I walked in the room, he'd jump off. Over time, he got to the point he didn't care and he would.

Nixi had her wheel for 3 months before she figured out how to use it. Now, she runs on it all the time. Just give him time.

Thanks for all the input, I guess I will just give it time. It is possible he is running on it at night as it is real quiet, but I don't think he is. I'm so excited for him to enjoy it, I hope he figures it out.

put a small mark on the top of the wheel with magic marker. if the mark is in a different spot in the morning, your chin has at least investigated the wheel and made it move.

Sherry's idea is a good one, but do remember, that doesn't mean your chin ran on the wheel, it could have got on it and off of it. But it could have ran on it as well.

I guess the only way to know for sure is sit in the room for a long length of time while your chin is active, or set up a camera.

Over 2 years now and he still hasn't picked it up lol. Should I bother trying a saucer? Could he just be a lazy Chin?

Can't keep my girl off her flying saucer. My boy took longer. He would take a lap or two everyday for about 2 months. Now he runs on it everyday.

Mabel didn't understand her wheel at first. I placed her on it, and rolled the wheel around gently. She started to move with it, then I let go and she kept walking.
If only it was like a dog on a treadmill, where you can hang a treat on a stick to get him running. :hair: Aha.

Goodluck with your chinnie :)

Back