Teach an old chinchilla new tricks?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TmG

About 3 years ago I got Carl. Because the owner wasn't sure exactly what age he was, she gave me an estimate. 3 years later he's know around 6/7 possibly 8. It's a guessing game that I'm not fond of. When I got him, she gave me everything she has for him to me. About a year after getting him, my mom purchased a wheel. It's a standard metal wheel. I have mixed feelings about the thing because it's not smooth. It has small little boxes all over. While Carl's hand/feet can't get stuck, the little holes are big enough that he could get a toe stuck. Not only that but after giving it to him, it was clear he never saw one. I woke up often to find him ONTOP of it after he tipped it over!!! I finally took it out of his cage and it's been sitting for the past year. Any advice? Should I repurchase a plastic saucer instead? Do you think he'll eventually learn? So many questions all because I want to spoil my little boy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if its able to be tipped over then you dont want to use it. If he can get a body part caught in it then you dont want to use it. If its plastic then you dont want to use it.

Maybe try looking into a metal flying saucer wheel. They are a bit expensive but they should last an incredibly long time.

As Godofgods said if it can tip over it's not safe, there are actually no chin safe wheels that can be tipped over if properly installed. From what you discribe it sounds like you are talking about something like this? which are not safe at all, for one as you mentioned they tip over, but also toes can get caught, but also the metal bar can decapitate your chin (depending on the bar if it's round or flat), or break a leg or neck, also the wheel is too small. The minimum diameter for a normal upright chin wheel is 14", if your chin is small, 15" min for larger chins. The reason for that is the way their back arches forward, they aren't like most other rodents that can comfortably bend backwards, bending backwards for a chin will cause back problems sooner or later. As said the metal flying saucer is great, if your chin can figure it out (my current two are 7 and they figured it out in a day so age has nothing to do with it), it's pricey but it will out last your chin (the only thing that might wear out over the years is the bearings which are replaceable for a couple dollars each). The plastic saucer, once again is not safe, even if your chin doesn't chew it up, as they run they are producing plastic dust that they are inhaling, also they don't connect to anything making them easy to tip over. In addition to the metal flying saucer other good/safe wheels include the silver surfer and the chin spin, you can also make a wheel however they are very very noisy. Unfortunately no big box pet store sells chinchilla safe wheels, just because it has a chinchilla or says chinchilla on the label does not make it safe. If you can't afford a safe wheel you are better off not having a wheel at all, chins like them but they don't need them.

Thanks for the tips! I'll probably throw it away considering it hasn't been in his cage for over a year anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back