taller cage vs wider?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crys12065

I want Delilah to have a bigger cage but can not afford a FN142 at this time and I keep checking Craigslist.
So on CL I found this cage for $35 which is 24 x 24 x 41"
her current cage is 30 x 18 x 30.
Is it even worth it to get it for the extra height because it takes away 6" of width on the bottom.
I just feel bad her cage is so small

Attachments

• p-25221-33544-ferret.jpg
    p-25221-33544-ferret.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 32
I personally prefer taller vs wider, and for that price, I'd purchase it, take out the plastic shelves replace them with pine. You might have to watch the bottom, looks like it's plastic. your chin may or may not chew on it. You only have one chin, and my prediction is you might get hooked like a lot of us, and eventually add another! lol

i've read that the bars on that cage are a bit flimsy, so you may not want to attach a wheel, but for kd pine shelves it should be fine.

you could get some fleece cut to fit the bottom where it wraps up and over the edge of the plastic, and secure it with binder clips. that'd keep the plastic away from little chinny teeth. i know i could never have Rhino in a cage like that without the plastic being completely covered, as he is an absolute plastic addict! (he even tried eating the corner of the air conditioner last night! lol).

I have that cage. And for the most part i like it. I took all the shelves out and put wooden shelves in. It has a silver surfer wheel. It would shake the daylight out of the cage. But what I did to stop that is I took the big picture frame hooks and nailed them close to the top of the cage on the wall and hooked my cage on them. Now when she runs its about as loud as a fan.

I personally would vote taller, rather than wider knowing chins like to jump/climb upwards.

Thank you for the feedback guys, I emailed about the cage this morning and just waiting to hear back. I have the pine shelves and extras that did not fit in her current cage so I think I would have enough to modify it.
I hope they still have it

for 35, i hope they still have it too. that is a good deal! i don't want to know what i spent on Rhino's cage in total, lol.

I have that cage too, for now I just made covers for the plastic shelves (I only kept two of the plastic levels and got rid of the green tunnel thingies) and made fleece liners for the bottom. The liners don't cover all of the plastic, but there aren't many corners that she could actually get her teeth around if she wanted to. It seems to be fairly sturdy also.

I guess I am the oddball. I definitely like wider. On taller cages they seem to stay in the very top all of the time and kick poo out from the top. On wider (I like a 4 foot wide by 2 feet tall cage it gives them plenty of room to run and jump. Plus with a fleece wrap around the bottom it keeps the shavings and poo inside the cage.

Back