talk to a chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lola

ok so many of you know this site http://www.chinchilla-sounds.de/sounds/mating.wav
but also many of you may not be able to get it working... my instructions are here i downloaded apple quick time and i pinned it to my desktop. then i oppened it up clicked file then clicked open url i coppeyed and pasted the url of the specific sound then pasted it on the quick time thing the opened when i clicked file open url and it played
and after i got it to work being intrested i went and played some sounds by her. and when i did she became really intrested in my laptop and she wasnt biting me and she was running around a lot. does this mean she wants a cage mate or is she just happy to hear another chins voice because she never acts this nice when its just me

I would say curious as well. The same thing happened here once when I played the chin sounds next to the cages and I had pairs back then.

When I first got Mr. Whiskers, I knew virtually nothing about keeping a chinchilla as a pet.

He was very friendly and inquisitive, but I noticed that he NEVER made any sounds at all that I could hear.

In my research on the internet, I came across the chinchilla sounds site and was thrilled that I would be able to hear the sounds they made.

I was sitting on the couch, right in front of his cage when I played them. I thought that at first, his ears pricked up, so I played them again, just to be sure. He immediately came to the side of the cage, making the same sounds!!!

I burst into tears when I realized that he had recognized the sounds as another chinchilla and was trying desperately to communicate with it. I imagined it would be like the equivalent of a human being stranded for months on a desert island and hearing someone shout "Hello", and then never hearing that sound again. He kept calling and looking around and I felt just terrible.

Because I tend to anthropomorphize my pets, I vowed then and there to get him a baby to keep him company. That is how Baby (also a male) came to be in our lives.

I'm not saying that you should run out and do the same thing, but I would encourage you to spend more time with your chin if he is a singleton, because you are his only stimulation.

I only got my two boys last week and they were an established bonded pair and they really enjoy eachother´s company and chat to eachother a fair bit, where I live you generally have to keep them in pairs by law. I´ve had lots of pets over the years and keeping any animals that can `talk`to eachother in same sex pairs when possible has worked really well for me over the years, even if it comes at the price of being slightly less tame (only an issue with parrots, in my own experience)

Even in a group or a breeding herd setting, chins definitely react to different sounds and voices. We figured out a long time ago that our chins were much calmer and less nervous having a radio playing in our chin room 24/7. You really notice a difference when new people come into the chin room. Before we had the radio on all the time, the chins would be startled jumping wildly around their cages and squaking when new people and new voices would come into our chin room. Now with the radio on all the time, the chins get used to hearing different voices all day long and aren't as nervous when someone new comes in the room and is talking. My dad swears that chins like country music best. Lol! It really is obvious in a group setting that the chins do react to new sounds. It seems like they feed off one another, as soon as one is startled and jumping around its cage then others start doing it. When one starts squaking then many others will usually chime in. The radio playing has made a huge difference in the animals not being so jumpy and nervous when they hear new sounds whether it be a new person in the room or a garbage truck outside making noise. I don't know how the music has affected other things with them such as fur chewing and breeding production because I haven't done a before and after study on those things, but logic would indicate that calmer less stressed chins would be less likely to chew their fur and more likely to breed reguraly. One thing for sure, chins do recognize different sounds and voices and will react differently with each of them and is definitely amplified in a group or herd setting.

If we could talk to the animals, just imagine it
Chatting to a chimp in chimpanzee
Imagine talking to a tiger, chatting to a cheetah
What a neat achievement that would be.

If we could talk to the animals, learn their languages
Maybe take an animal degree.
We'd study elephant and eagle, buffalo and beagle,
Alligator, guinea pig, and flea.

We would converse in polar bear and python,
And we could curse in fluent kangaroo.
If people asked us, can you speak in rhinoceros,
We'd say, "Of courserous, can't you?"

If we could talk to the animals, learn their languages
Think of all the things we could discuss
If we could walk with the animals, talk with the animals,
Grunt and squeak and squawk with the animals,
And they could squeak and squawk and speak and talk to us.

:hug2:

I burst into tears when I realized that he had recognized the sounds as another chinchilla and was trying desperately to communicate with it. I imagined it would be like the equivalent of a human being stranded for months on a desert island and hearing someone shout "Hello", and then never hearing that sound again. He kept calling and looking around and I felt just terrible.

This stuck home with me. Personally I hate seeing lone chins as pets. In our rescue work we do our best to pair single chins with other singles of the same gender and always stress the fact that chins are herd animals, not solitary ones. Your "stranded on a desert island" view is similar to my own.

i did this with kishi, and she was certainly curious i could practicly see her going "who is that?'
Kishi also responds to some english words too, she knows her name, she knows "beaner"(her nickname) she knows "treat" she knows "hungry" or "food"
she knows "water" or "thirsty" she knows "scritchy' and "dust bath"

Back