Taking a chin up to Canada to sell

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caroline

I have a buyer for one of my chins and need to know what all needs to be done to safely get him across the border. I will be driving him up when I go to pick up my daughter from the airport and I do not want to have any surprises or delays at the border.

Tagna here is a chinchilla rescue and she has brought lots of chins across the border, if she does not see this post, PM her.

I don't know about the border in Washington, but I know when I've crossed the border here, most of the customs agents had NO idea what a chinchilla is, which caused delays. Perhaps you should call ahead?

I would suggest calling the customs agents and asking what you will need prior to crossing the border. I know when I last crossed, the US side of the border is now requesting for import and export licenses to the US citizens.

I never had to get one before, but suddenly I had to pay for a US import license for the person who had bought the chins I was taking over the border.

It definitely depends on the agent you get, as to what they request though. Also you may have Fisheries and Wildlife requesting to view the chinchilla before you can cross over. They don't charge anything for their services.

My husband works for US customs, so I am having him look in to if there is anything you have to do as far as exporting from the US goes. He may have someone at Canada customs to ask what paperwork would be needed to bring a chinnie into Canada. I'll post updates as I find anything out.

Here is the limited info I just got from my husband. He hasn't personally dealt with a chinchilla while working but he assumes there will be some hoops that you will have to jump through.

He suggested contacting Fish and Wildlife in Washington State to see if they have any specific exportation requirements for chins. He doesn't suspect there are, but said it is better to check ahead of time to be sure.

As for going into Canada, the agency to deal with would be Canada Border Services (the US equivalent to Customs and Border Protection in the US). You will want to contact them prior to leaving to find out exactly what documentation you will need. Most likely the agent that you encounter at the border will not know offhand what the requirements are, so having everything in place before you go will be your best option.

Caroline, my husband also works for US Customs. If you don't hear from ChinChiq first, let me know and I can give you an answer later today.

ETA - Just saw above post. Don't hesitate to ask me if you have any more questions. Just won't hear from hubby until noonish.

Jenn's hubby may have more useful info since he is in WA State. I am in NY and I know that the customs ports all operate a bit differently.

My husband works for US customs, so I am having him look in to if there is anything you have to do as far as exporting from the US goes. He may have someone at Canada customs to ask what paperwork would be needed to bring a chinnie into Canada. I'll post updates as I find anything out.

Thank you

It wasn't the customs who gave me a hard time, but the Fisheries and Wildlife. The man I spoke with earlier this year, who worked at the Peach Arch border crossing, explained to me it was importing or exporting of chinchillas to or from the US.

Previous crossings (till this last one earlier this year.), I usually just paid a small border crossing fee and went on my way. Occasionally an agent can cause delays, though, which is why calling ahead is the best plan so you have no delays or are held up at the border.

http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/wa/3004.xml

Name: U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
Phone: (360) 332-5388
Fax: (360) 332-3010

It wasn't the customs who gave me a hard time, but the Fisheries and Wildlife. The man I spoke with earlier this year, who worked at the Peach Arch border crossing, explained to me it was importing or exporting of chinchillas to or from the US.

Exactly. It's not Customs who will have issue with it. The customs officers that you speak to at the point of crossing are not well versed in wildlife rules, so if they are unsure about an animal being imported or exported, they will refer you to Fish and Wildlife...which means a delay. Contacting the proper agencies on both sides of the border before you leave will ensure that you have the proper documentation and will reduce the likelihood of the officer sending you for further inspection.

That being said, officers on both sides of the border can and will require additional screening, interviews, delays for any reason they see fit...even if you have all of the required documentation.

Exactly. It's not Customs who will have issue with it. The customs officers that you speak to at the point of crossing are not well versed in wildlife rules, so if they are unsure about an animal being imported or exported, they will refer you to Fish and Wildlife...which means a delay. Contacting the proper agencies on both sides of the border before you leave will ensure that you have the proper documentation and will reduce the likelihood of the officer sending you for further inspection.

That being said, officers on both sides of the border can and will require additional screening, interviews, delays for any reason they see fit...even if you have all of the required documentation.

Yup! After the first time we were delayed, we learned the proper form we needed and ensured we brought it with us on any subsequent trip. While some customs officials thought nothing more of it and sent us on our way, even with the paper we could and were stopped for F&W.

There's really no guarantee you won't be delayed, really...

Back