Systolic heart murmur

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tati121

I've gone through past threads about heart murmurs but I haven't seen much written about systolic murmurs. I just got back from the vet and she said Watson has a level 2 systolic murmur. She told me that it as benign and there's no reason to worry though she does want to see him again in 6 months. She said that at his age (7 months) and at this level, the murmur isn't necessarily indicative of heart disease or congestive heart failure. I'm not overly worried since it would do more harm than good but I just wanted to get some more information about systolic murmurs.

I did read in a previous thread that it was difficult to hear and correctly identify a murmur under level 3 since it isn't so pronounced so this makes me wonder as well.

Any and all thoughts on this topic are greatly appreciated!

ETA: She only examined him with a stethoscope and did not do an ultrasound. Is this something I should request at the 6 month check up?

Last edited:
I would not worry about a class 2, my 17 year old has a class 2 and it never slowed him down and only came into play during a broken arm when he became edemic and had to be put on lasix. My class 5 died from congestive heart failure, I only worry about a class 3 or higher in a adult chin, frequently murmurs are either misdiagnosed in young chins or they grow out of them, just like teenage humans can grow out of murmurs.

Thank you for the insight Dawn! I am keeping in mind that he is only 7 months old so I'll just be playing everything by ear from here on out :thumbsup:

You may consider using a Herbal Heart Remedy designed for herbivores. It supplies the heart with necessary nutrients, allows more oxygenated blood to nourish the heart and helps normalize heart activity. Valuable for the treatment of heart murmurs. Can be used daily as a remedy or 4 times a week to support a healthy heart function.

Latest posts

Back