Syringe feeding recipes

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABBY W.

My hedgehog has unfortunately developed WHS. He has become unable to stand at his food bowl for long enough to eat. The vet has suggested I start syringe feeding him. However, we are both concerned about the possibility of causing diahrrea and dehydrating him further. Do any of you have a recipe that can be used? I looked through the health and diet sections and couldn't find any info.

He is currently on Wellness cat food, and refuses to eat anything other than mealworms, and the occasional waxworm. But with the syringe feed I could probably introduce some other options, like veggies, or vitamins. I have vionate powder, but wanted to make sure that was safe to use before giving it to him.

Thanks for your help!

I use Hills a/d, vanilla or strawberry boost, and a little pulverized kibble when I need to syringe feed. You can also ask your vet about adding carnivore care as well. The Hills a/d and carnivore care are available through your vet. Hills is a canned food that is designed to be easily syringe fed. Boost is a liquid dietary supplement available in the supplement section of pharmacies.

If you are afraid he may get diarrhea from the diet change, ask doc about teaching you how to sub-q fluids and to send you home with a supply. Its relatively easy to do, but you do need to know if/when it needs to be done. Something doc can help you determine.

You may also want to offer soft foods, like moistened kibble, canned cat food, gerber baby food, etc in a shallow bowl and hold it in front of him while on your lap. That way if he will eat on his own you can give him a little assistance without having to go down the syringing route yet.

Thanks so much guys! I have tried offering him moistened kibble but he won't eat it. He won't even take mealies from me. This guy has been picky from the beginning. Now that he doesn't feel well, he's even worse. I'm hoping once we get into the swing of syringe feeding that he'll feel a little better and his symptoms may improve.

Have you tried Royal Canin Baby cat? It is a teeny tiny sized kibble and easy for hedgehogs to eat. Even those with difficulty eating can usually manage it.

Try leaving some kibble in bed with him and see if he can manage it.

Some are very reluctant to be syringe fed and it takes a while for them to get into the routine. Once they do catch on, then they decide syringing is the only way to go. :hilarious:

Latest posts

Back