Swollen rectum?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peep_erz

Today I noticed Mayo at the bottom of the cage. I picked him up and immediately knew something was wrong when he didn't fight me. I noticed his rectum looked like this
DSC05251.jpg

close up
DSC05252.jpg

I took him to the e-vet that I thought would be good from a phone interview I did a couple years ago but the vet there didn't seem too chin savvy. She said he wasn't prolaped and just had a swollen rectum and is probably constipated. they gave him some sub-q fluids and sent me on my way. My secondary vet opens tomorrow at 9 and I plan on bringing him in as soon as possible.

Yesterday he was normal alert and pooping normally as far as I could tell. I did syringe him some water, gave about 1ml of critical care and a dropper full of smithicone when I got home from the dumb evet.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be and what I should ask for at the vets tomorrow?

Leah I wish I had advice but I really don't. The only thing I can think is perhaps the chins was a bit constipated and pushed too hard but not hard enough to cause prolapse. Maybe that's why it's swollen. I would try to up the water intake possibly and see if that helps. I hope you'll hear more from your secondary vet. Hope all will be well!

The E-vet also suggested cat laxative. Does this sound right or ok?
No it doesn't. Some vets will prescribe Laxitone or Nutri Cal/Nutri Stat for easing blockages, but in reality all it does it coats everything. if there is a blockage it will make it so it won't absorb fluids and will not be movable.

I would increase the amount of CC you're getting into him. Moving fiber through is always a good thing.

No, no cat laxative. The last thing a chin needs is a laxative. If it is constipation, then he should have chin safe medication.

Did the vet check to see if the anal glands were possibly clogged or swollen?

No, no cat laxative. The last thing a chin needs is a laxative. If it is constipation, then he should have chin safe medication.

Did the vet check to see if the anal glands were possibly clogged or swollen?

I don't think so. I didn't realize this could be a possibility so I didn't ask. I think she mostly went off of what I told her and checked for blockages and prolapse.

Its been an hour and a half with him in the quarantine cage and zero poops. He is moving around and fighting the syringe of CC. Fighting is a good thing but no poops is bad. :(

Secondary vet office didn't have any of their chin knowledgeable vets today. I called around EVERYWHERE and ended up driving 2 hours to Adobe Animal Hospital in Los Altos. The took him in immediately and assessed him right in front of us. The vet there said his gut feels normal but she thinks he has pneumonia. They are hospitalizing him for 2 days to hopefully get that under control and check to see if there is anything else. She gives him a 50/50 chance right now.

Who did he see at Adobe? There are some good chin vets there and there are some that are dicey.

Latest posts

Back