Switching Food

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

chelsealynnm

I just adopted my first hedgie and I'm worried about the food he has and he seems a little over weight but my vet will answer that question for me tomorrow I'm sure.

He came here with actual hedgehog pellets and cat food.

The Hedgehog pellets he came with are Sunseed Sunscription Vita Hedgehog Formula Vitamins & Minerals Fish Shrimp & Crab Meal Mealworms.

And the Cat food is The Goodlife Recipe which I wouldn't feed to my cats let alone my hedgie.

So naturally I want to change it to something more healthier however is their a process to doing this without upsetting his tummy and such?

Also, the guy I adopted him from said he gives him a little of both. Is that a good or bad thing to do? He also said he hadn't ever fed him meal worms. How should I go about introducing mealworms or other insects to him?

The poor thing hasn't had good nutrition so I'm trying to give him a long healthy happy life. :heart5:

You will want to slowly switch him to a new food. This will help prevent GI upset, also hedgehogs who are stressed from too much change, or sudden change have also been known to fast.

I use the 25% method. First week, 25% new food. Second week 50%. Third week 75%, etc. If everything is going well (no weight change, stool is normal, etc), I'll shorten those days a few. Also some hedgehogs will make the switch on their own but only eating the new good food once offered.

As for mealworms. I'd hold off for a bit before offering mealworms. If you are changing his diet you don't want too much change at once, and if his GI does get out of whack it will be easier to determine if it was the kibble or the mealworms causing it.

Once you are ready to offer mealworms, simply offer him one. He may or may not take it. I have two now that never had mealworms. Both took many attempts before they would even go near them. However, they both now gobble them right up.

Congrats on the new hedgie.

Thank you!

What size meal worms do you use? Small medium large x-large?

I tend to go with medium. I like to give more, so I figure I can do that with smaller mealworms.

Back