Switching Cages

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lolie

I've been toying with the idea of building a melamine cage for my chins, but I've been wondering about how chins typically deal with being moved to a new cage.

My girls have been in their current cage for four years, when they moved in together. My older girl was in a smaller cage on her own for six months before that, and the other was in a temporary cage until they could be moved in together. They took to it fine, but they've been in this one much longer and I'm wondering how much a cage switch at this point might stress them out. I don't want to put so much work into building a new cage when it may turn out badly.

I'd appreciate any experiences you have with switching cages. Am I over thinking this, or have your chins experienced a lot of stress from the move? Thanks for any insight you can give me!

in my experience, switching cages doesnt effect them much... they adapt to the new cage very well, besides their going to a better cage right..?

I have one boy who's lived in 4 different cages since I got him and he did just fine with every move. His last move was from a 3 ft. tall dinky superpet cage to a 5 ft. tall ferret nation cage and he did just fine. All of mine seemed to enjoy exploring their new cages.

Our chins have traveled from FL to MI and get put into different cages at least twice a year. I have yet to see them stress out with either the drive or the new cages. Plus.. they go from being in a loft upstairs to downstairs in a basement.

I only have one pair and they have only lived in two cages (SuperPet to a melamine), and they didn't seem to be stressed out by the move at all. I would just make sure you keep a few of their items to put in the new cage.. maybe a wooden house, few toys, wheel if you have one. Those kinds of things that were 'their's' before will most likely help them if they get stressed at all.

I don't think they will be too stressed out. Over a span of 5 years, my chins have moved from CA to VA to FL, and switched cages numerous times. I also occasionally switch cages so that moms can get a break from breeding. None of them seem to mind it all.

Mine don't mind - in fact they like exploring the new cage and pop all over it - if you could move some things from the old cage to the new one they will have some familiarity

I think they should be fine, but I will throw in my one exception to the rule experience...

When I switched around my boys cage, Stolie became agressive again and needed to claim dominance again over Sambuca. If your girls were fine and have been fine, I wouldn't expect any issues, but I just thought it fair to throw out my one experience :thumbsup:

Thank you all for sharing your experiences, that really helps a lot! I'm glad to hear that they should be fine with a move :)

Latest posts

Back