Swiping at mouth and little poops.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christina Noraas

Christina
This ones a double wammy guys.

So it's all cleared up now for the most part, every now and again a itty bitty one will slip though but right after will come out a normal sized poop. Oh, about a week and half to two weeks ago I noticed that there was very few droppings and the ones that were there were extremely small. So I brought them out one each at a time and after 15-20 minutes I noticed that neither was pooping. However, they were both drinking and eating normally. So I let them out to run about, put some dust on the floor so they could roll around, I also massaged their bellies. It seemed to help some but not the amount that I had hoped. So I put my extra water bottle in the cage with it, and put a drop of baby gas drops in and put them on a 1/2 and 1/2 timothy and alfalfa diet. Their doing good now and their poops are back to normal for the most part with the exception of a little one passing though every now and again. Is there anything I should be worried about, or did wrong?

For my second question, I've noticed but only when they're eating or shortly after eating rose hips I figured that it was from the seeds inside, that they paw their mouth. Should this be any raise for concern or have you seen it in your chins as well?

Mine do that sometimes...I think the seeds are grainy or something. Once in awhile I see them paw after having one. I havent worried.

Worry if its dramatic and exagerated because it could be choking or something but yeah my chins do it once in awhile as well

If you crack a rose hip open there is a bed of tinny red/brown 'hair' on the inside which is very itchy to the touch ...lol you can test it out with just z slight rub on sensitive skin like the skin on the wrist, some times it will bother my fingers as well. This could easily make a chin paw their mouth. Just watch for other signs of bloat/stasis as your saying their poops went really small, and at some points non existent.
Some times teeth and GI troubles can be directly related.
But in this case I wouldn't worry so much about the occasional mouth swipe, my healthy girls do it all the time when they dust, eat or sniff some thing odd.:thumbsup:

Mouth swiping is a symptom of malo, but its in conjuction with eating anything and all the other malo symptoms. Rose hips irritate the mouth, in this case its normal. If I feed rose hips they are crushed, I just don't care for the fact that there is mouth irritation.

Back