suspect pyometra :(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumby and Elmo

last night came home from work at about 9:30, to find Toffee all wet underneath:(
as u can see in the pic, i inspected her and i am dreading its pyo, rang my sis, shes a v.a in an exotic vet hospital, earliest would be tmr morning for an app, meanwhile, she just told me to watch her feedings, poop and activity lv, i fed her some 2 servings of lifeline in 4 hrs since she wasnt taking any pellets, she took it off the spoon which 2as good.
well im on my way to the vet now, hope its not whay i tgink it is.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369099503184.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369099503184.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 70
just got back from the vet, its not pyometra, thank god, its viginitis, the vet did bloodwork and ran test and said the amount of white blood cells present in the uterus was normal, so it seems to be localised in the vagina area, didnt do ultrasound since he said it would be hard to see if the uterus is imflamed just from the ultrasound.
Toffee was presribed with meloxincam and enrofloxacin for 7days, also got some CC.
the vet did mention that it usually goes away within 7 days, even if shes stop leaking, if Toffee is looking dull and not eating, it could be because it has progressed into a closed pyometra, so i really need to keep a close eye on her.
And also need to bear in mind that if shes had viginitis, she might be at higher risk of getting pyo in the future. :(
so fingers crossed for my little girl, hope her infection stays localised, and clear up in a few days.

urgh yeah, pyometra sucks. Been through the pyo/emergency spay thing twice.

Actually the second time, with Baby J, turned out to be just very very bad vaginitis, as the pathology on the removed uterus showed very slight inflammation, but no infection had spread that far up at that point.
That said, I was still pleased we'd taken the surgical route, even though it was rough on poor Baby J, on account of the high risk of pyo later on.

Anyways, I really really really hope your wee girl heals up quickly! You should weigh her every night at around the same time, and keep a record, just to watch for weight loss. Hopefully you can get lots and lots of CC in her to keep her strong.

Out of interest, how did the vet check the amount of blood cells in her uterus? I'm just curious to know how that was done....

um, I don't know how my vet checked for the white blood cell count in her uterus, they just did a smear, and blood work.

Update on Toffee, I was only able to give her 4-7ml of CC plus lifeline about 3 times a day, she's perky, activity level's normal, very willing to take half a wheat or some oats, she also eats hay on her own, and a few pieces of pellets that i offered her, but i have yet to really see on eat on her own. And she's not drinking water, I know the CC has water and they tend to drink less, but I have made the CC really thick, thick like a paste, and her poops are small and harder than normal, so I am worried she's dehydrated.
I don't really know whether she's peed cause she lives with Muffin, I don't really want to stress her out by separating them cause they are really bonded.
She even runs on her wheel, so I don't really know what to do, she seems fine, but they hide it so well that I don't want to take the risks.
As for the vaginitis, I think it's becoming better, at least she's not leaking anymore, vet wants me to go back in a week for check up.
But in the meantime, how can I get her to drink more? But she really puts up a fight when I try force feed her, it's very exhausting, any tips at all to make it go smoother?

Do you burrito her? That helps a lot. To get more water in her, you could make the CC more liquid, and less like a paste...

I know they fight, and it is demoralizing for you, but you really have to keep at it. Maybe try feeding more frequently? When my two went through this, I fed them every 3 hrs, day and night. It was exhausting, but so worth it in the end.

When I force fed my chin last year I had to wrap him up in a very secure burrito and slowly, patiently, syringe feed him the CC. I found he like the apple banana flavour a lot better than the anise (original), and after a while he realized I wasn't trying to kill him and feeding became easier.
If you chin is not eating pellets you need to be getting a lot more CC into her than less than 30mls a day (estimated based on 4-7mls 3xdaily that you said you could get into her). Try more frequently feedings and try to get 60mls+ of CC into her or she is going to lose weight and will be at risk for going into stasis, having bloat issues, etc. Also, if you aren't already, keep a close eye on what her weight is doing, that will give you an indication of whether or not she is eating when you aren't around or not. I know hand feeding can be brutal, especially when a chin is acting like you're torturing it, but when it comes to chin health you have to fight as hard as they are (or harder)

My Roo hates both flavors of Critical Care!He would eat the blend from Fuzzies Kingdom a little better,but I started experimenting and found what he loved. His regular pellets crushed up in the coffee grinder with a scoop of lifeline then moistened with some pumpkin(pure pumpkin not the pie filling) and filtered water. He would take this better than anything and he hated burrito style! What he preferred was for me to sit him in my lap with my thumb and index finger under his chin and the middle finger underneath his fore leg.That gave me my right hand to feed with and basically he was eating in a stand up position. He would get squirmy and need to be snuggled now and then but would get right back to eating when I put him in that feeding position. Hope this helps/makes some sense!

i tried giving her essentials for life with lifeline last night, which i got as a freebie last time i purchased from Tanya, and she took it voluntarily!! so happy, i didnt even have to take her out, made it so much easier and less stressful for her.
yes, i weigh her last night, shes lost about 6 grams, was 575grams at the vets, last night she was 569g.
i will try to get more into her.
she doesnt mind me holding her so much, i think she just hated the CC.

meh, wasnt so so easy after all, i managed to get 10ml essentials for.life +lifeline into her this morning.
good thing i saw her peeing, so thats a relieve.

you could try grinding up some pellets to mix in with the CC... that might tone down the flavour a bit?

update on Toffee, her weight is stable, tonight she was 579g, last night she was 580g, her activity level is normal, no lethragy, eating hay, but not pellets, well i havent seen her eat pellets yet, nor drink water, poops are still a little small and hard, dunno if its the baytril, i am going to skip a feeding tonight and see if she'll eat on her own. fingers crossed!
checked her area this morning, its turned back to its original very nice pale pink color, and shes no longer leaking or wet around there, so hopefully its cleared up.
she still has 3 days of day and night baytril to go, she hates it sooooo much, its sad to watch.

Are you putting extra probiotics in her CC? It might help with the poops. Baytril is pretty hard on their gut.

Also, I wouldnt skip a feeding if I were you. I'd wait until a couple of days after her meds have finished before you start weaning her off the feeds.

Rosey and I send our love and best wishes for a speedy recovery *hugs*

thank you Newt for the support :D
i am not adding extra probiotic into the CC, i gathered the essentials for life plus lifeline had enough in it, just finished her round, i only managed to get 8ml into her, but during it, she pooped lots for me, about 10, and they are BIGGER!!!yay!
and less dry, so i think she is secretly eating on my back, as i said, i cant really tell whether she hasnt eaten any since she shares a cage with Muffin, but since last night, eventhough i skipped her feeding session, and her poops are even bigger than before. so hopefully shes been eating.

yay yippee, i saw more small to medium sized poops in her cage this morning, i can differentiate that from Muffins poops cause her is HUGE:)
hopefully all goes well when i go back for revisit to the vets on tuesday.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369529982663.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369529982663.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 19
Burrito'd chinchillas can be so cute. Of course the circumstances surrounding the reason why they're burrito'd can change cuteness to terror.

Latest posts

Back