Supplies for a homemade cage.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinnie

Hi everyone,
So i was thinking to build a homemade cage with my dad beacause we thought it would be fun :thumbsup: But my dad was wondering what supplies woe would be able to use and a design blueprint to keep all her poop in the cage. Some requirements are
*Pull out litter tray (drop ins are a mess)
*Has to be effective enough to keep all the poop in
*We don't want to spend over $200 on it
So do any of you guys out there have a less costly cage building schematic? we have power tools and stuff like that we just need a game plan here! He doesn't want to use wood for the outside because he says it absorbs smell. Is this true? He thinks some wire looks trashy..which I don't but eh.. i really have no idea what's going on im my fathers mind :bump1: hehe.
So any ideas?
Thanks <3,
Chinnie

This is the only halfway decent page I could find to help you out.
http://www.chinchillasource.com/buildacage.html

There used to be a much nicer tutorial online but it's not coming up anymore.

I built my own a few years ago using melamine panels and KD pine, and yeah, it was big and beautiful and contained all the poop nicely, and had a pull out pan. BUT it weighed over 200lbs and even with casters I could hardly move it around. I'm a small woman.
And we spent closer to $300 on building it than the $200 I had hoped....

My advice is to get a Ferret Nation. It's HUGE, and once you pull all the plastic out, it's an awesome empty shell, and then you only have to build shelves. And if you can get one from CraigsList or find it on sale online, you can keep to your budget a LOT easier than if you build.

Latest posts

Back