Supplement Question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcrdust

This may be more appropriate in the debate section, but here it goes.

Are the various dietary supplements necessary to a chins diet??

Over the years I have fed many different supplements to my chins and even tried some home made varities. However. If one feeds high quality pellets, and hay, are the "extras" needed? Or is it just a comfort for the owners/ranchers who want to provide the best possible care and nutrition?

I guess what I am getting at is this. Is it beneficial or is this just another treat that we as owners have convinved ourselves is mandatory?

Every chin breeder I have bought from uses some daily feed enhancer or another.

I know it's reccomended for pregnant/nurseing females.

I cannot recall any hard scientific data on wether there is a health benefit to dietary supplements in an average chins diet.

Is it just for bulk? Does it add longevity? Does it aid in fur quality?

Why do you or don't you add supplements in your nutrition program?

What do some of you experts think???

I've never used supplements and my chins are happy, healthy, and look fine. They are fed Tradition pellets and unlimited hay. They get a pinch of rose hips or oats maybe every other week.

I can see supplements being given for chins who are using more than the usual amount of energy- say, a male who has been in breeding for awhile or a pregnant/nursing female, but for pets I don't see it necessary.

I see it as a treat. I don't think I've seen anyone who swears these are necessary for a chinchilla's diet and health. Although I know the EFL is highly recommended for sick chins (and I guess not-sick chins) as it seems to boost the immune system etc similar to how I take extra vitamins when I'm fighting off a cold.

My family has been using herbal remedies for as long as I can remember. Chamomile for aches and relaxing, mint for tummies, relaxing and energizing, hibiscus for vitamin c, etc are all things that I'm personally familiar with doing. There aren't any "hard scientific facts" for those in people either, though.

However, I'd prefer to see a 20yr old chin (preferably a whole herd actually) who's been on supplements for life to sort of prove to me that it's safe for a chinchilla. Although when I think about it, it's likely chins eat flowers in the wild so in theory it should be safe for them as well. I'm just waiting. Normally, I'm all over herbal remedies, but I like keeping it pretty simple for the boys so if anything goes wrong it's easier to eliminate possibilities.

I personally use Ryerson's for my supplement. I went from having singletons, and twins to trips. Don't know if it was a coincidence or not but that's been my experience.
I do know this, that if someone refuses it, that generally means something is wrong.
They all seem to know it's coming and are front and center waiting their turn.

I agree with you twilight. If a chin isn't excited about getting it something is really off.

Glad to see a few posts on this all of a sudden. I kinda thought this thread might be a hot topic.

Back