super trusting kit

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperDuper ChinnieBaby

Hi I recently just saved a baby chin when he was 8 weeks old. He is now 13 weeks. And ever since I brought him home he's trusted me from day one.. he comes right up to me grooms me all the time let's me hold him loves his chin ear n belly rubs he will take a chin rub for half hour if he could. He loves to jumps all over me n loves my kids. When I let him out for freeplay he will come right up to my toddler jump all over her n start nibbling her toes n hands so gently.. I was wondering is this normal for chinchillas. Or at least for kits

It's common for kits, or even adults who haven't been mistreated to not take long to be friendly. I had my current two out a couple hours after bring them home at 3 years old. However it really comes down to personality, some chins are just more outgoing then others, but also kits haven't gone though puberty yet, their personality can change then. You could look at kits like little kids, they love everyone so long as they are treated well, but that doesn't mean when they grow up they will.

Another thing to point out, at 13 weeks the chin really shouldn't be getting out of cage playtime, or at most 5 minutes a day. They need their energy to grow, and kits don't know when to stop, like little kids and will play until they drop. Unfortunately with chins that can mean a drop in blood sugar not just energy, and that can lead to seizures and death.

I just want to add, I'm sure you know but, be extra careful with a chin around young kids. Toddlers and young kids don't have the fine motor skills of an adult and can easily hurt the chin by accident. Chins are a lot more fragile then most other rodents, and have what's call a floating rib cage, so if squeezed around the body you can puncture a lung with a rib. They also have very tiny bones, about the thickness of a toothpick. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with allowing contact, just, be careful. I don't recommend or allow my chins to be handled by anyone under about 12, they are really more an adult pet.

Usually if I let him out my daughter is sitting on the bed she's very intellagent scoring well beyond her age she knows when he comes up don't mov at most she will put her hand out n then he will home to her fingers n nibble them lol. Then goes on his way... I usually let him out for 10 min 15 max if its bath time. N he will run for 2 or 3 min then lay under the table for 5 or he will just sit on my lap n begg for chin scratched the whole time he's out... but if I see him getting to excited n not stopping his wall jumps for more than a minute I usually intervien n make his rest... is that ok I let him out like that... I just feel so bad for him he was being miss treated a couple doors down from me then one day I was outside n I seen her holding a little box n she put it in the ditch so me being curious went over there n there he was. I no his age cuz I went over there n got very angry at a person for doing something so wrong

B][/B]
It's common for kits, or even adults who haven't been mistreated to not take long to be friendly. I had my current two out a couple hours after bring them home at 3 years old. However it really comes down to personality, some chins are just more outgoing then others, but also kits haven't gone though puberty yet, their personality can change then. You could look at kits like little kids, they love everyone so long as they are treated well, but that doesn't mean when they grow up they will.

Another thing to point out, at 13 weeks the chin really shouldn't be getting out of cage playtime, or at most 5 minutes a day. They need their energy to grow, and kits don't know when to stop, like little kids and will play until they drop. Unfortunately with chins that can mean a drop in blood sugar not just energy, and that can lead to seizures and death.

I just want to add, I'm sure you know but, be extra careful with a chin around young kids. Toddlers and young kids don't have the fine motor skills of an adult and can easily hurt the chin by accident. Chins are a lot more fragile then most other rodents, and have what's call a floating rib cage, so if squeezed around the body you can puncture a lung with a rib. They also have very tiny bones, about the thickness of a toothpick. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with allowing contact, just, be careful. I don't recommend or allow my chins to be handled by anyone under about 12, they are really more an adult pet.

Back