super pets brand water bottles?

• Thread starter DaphnesandFreddysmom
  • Start date
Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DaphnesandFreddysmom

We bought one of these for our new girl. We bought the glass 6 ounce type andd brought it home and tested it. It seemed to allow only small amounts of water through. So we figured it was ok. We used it for her and noticed no water disapearing even though I noticed her playing with it.

Today I checked it and played for 5 minutes and couldn't get a drop out of it. So I washed our older girls bottle and am now using that for our new girl. Well we exchanged the bottle for another (same brand and size) we got it home and same thing it won't allow water to pass. So now we have a dish in our older girls cage and we have to order a new bottle. We use the bottles off the Ryerson's website so I'll order one of those tomorrow.

Has anyone used, or had this problem? Our new girl is drinking quite a bit now with the new bottle.

I know that some brands are crap and just do that...be careful with the bowl though...even if it is temporary-wet chins are not a good thing:thumbsup:

I haven't used them ..but I was looking at them just the other day. Glad I didn't get them now.

I wish they would carry the glass Lixits still... shipping is nuts!

I use them and have no problems with them. Did you fill it all the way up to the top? If so, that is probably the problem. You want atleast an inch of air left at the top. And I always when I tip them down to put them in the holder give them a shake til a drip comes out.
I actually only fill mine with about 2 inches of water since I change their water daily, so no reason to fill it up anyways.
I've never had any issues with them and I have 2 of them.

I have it also, and had problems with it at first. Then I noticed, like Alli said, I had to leave air in the bottle. Also, the bottle had to be attached to the cage at a certain angle for the water to be dispensed. I had to play around with it until I figured out a good angle so he could easily drink from it.

yes it was filled all the way. We do fill them every day but i just figured it worked. I'll try to fill it halfway up and see if that works better.

I guess I'm a paranoid mommy.

We have a few of those. You do have to leave a little air in the top, like was said already. Also, one of the ones we had still didn't work after that, so my boy friend opened it up and had to use a knife for something or other. I wasn't really paying attention, he just said he would fix it...and it works now...lol

I have one on all 7 cages and have never had a problem. I shake it before hanging it.

I've been using them for a couple of years, and love them! You can fill them to the top, just remember to bounce them off the ball of your hand until the bubbles come up - even then, I always test them with my finger,to make sure the waters flowing freely. They should come with instructions to tell you that - wonder how many got pitched because they "wouldn't work?"

I know I dont like the one I had, so I went to the bird section and got a glass Lixit bottle for Gabby like the boys have. They work the best.

I notice that i have to fill mine to the brim for it to seal well. Good luck.

I have had the same problem with Super Pet bottles. A couple worked fine and a few did not work at all no matter how I filled them. Most bottles you have to fill all the way to the rim, but this brand you do have to leave a small amount of air.

I think Super Pet products are mostly junk anyway. Most of their products are unsafe or inferior quality and except for a couple of the glass bottles for chins that always manage to get to nibble their plasic bottles, I won't buy anything made by them.

I actually love the design on these bottles, but they never seem to work for me either....I always get paranoid and I'm checking the cages that have them 20x a day LOL If they could perfect these bottles, I'd get one for every cage, but until then...I'm gonnna stick with the lixit glass bottles, I guess.

Work great for me. Did have the same problem in the beginning, but i took the head off and pushed the bearing back a little to push the seal down the shaft more. This loosened the seal a little and allowed more water flow. Also, like was stated in an earlier post, don't fill them up all the way. Leave at least an inch of air for the air to water transfer.

I have almost a dozen of these and I love them. I leave a lil bit of space at the top when I fill them, and this helps to create the vaccuum pressure needed to make the bottle work properly. I also turn them spout-downward then shake till a few water drops come out, before attaching to the cage. I've never had a problem & been using them for years.
~Barb~

I E-Mailed Super-Pet today explaining the problems with their bottles and the correction I made to get them right. Also made them aware of C+H so they could see all the responces! Since they're about 20 miles north of here, I'm pretty sure they'll get back to me, as they know their reputation needs improvement!

I had the same thing happen to me!! I had no idea that they had these problems and just thought that the chin wasn't drinking--I felt terrible for the poor guy b/c he was trying to get water but nothing was coming out. I never had this problem with anyother bottles, but just switched back to plastic ones for that reason.

Back