Suitable Drinking Water

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IFireflyl

Hello all. I am new to the forum, and I wanted to ask about drinking water. I read that you aren't supposed to use tap water for chinchillas without purifying it in some way (e.g. boiling it). I'm wondering if anyone out there does use tap water without purifying it. Also, for those that do use tap water and purify it, what steps do you take? Do you just boil it? How long do you boil it? Does anything need to be added this way?

Thank you in advance.

We use a Pur water filter. We have one on the sink and a pitcher in the fridge. Prior to that, we were buying Reverse Osmosis water by the gallon from Walmart. At .89 cents per gallon it wasn't breaking the bank. It was just easier to have it filtered from the tap.

I use bottle water. Boiling water takes away a lot of the water's nutrients, like distilled water, it won't have what your chin needs in it.

I use bottle water. Boiling water takes away a lot of the water's nutrients, like distilled water, it won't have what your chin needs in it.

That's good to know. Thanks for the information. :)

We use a Pur water filter. We have one on the sink and a pitcher in the fridge. Prior to that, we were buying Reverse Osmosis water by the gallon from Walmart. At .89 cents per gallon it wasn't breaking the bank. It was just easier to have it filtered from the tap.

We also use Pur water filters alot cheaper than bottled water.

Thank you both for your input. I have just ordered a Pur water filter to use for my chinchilla. I appreciate all of your help. :)

i used a pur filter on the end of my faucet for a long time. But when i moved to PA i was on well water instead of city. The mineral content and hardness was a lot higher. I had to switch to bottle water.

i used a pur filter on the end of my faucet for a long time. But when i moved to PA i was on well water instead of city. The mineral content and hardness was a lot higher. I had to switch to bottle water.

I'll keep that in mind as something to be aware of if/when I move. That isn't something I would immediately have thought about without you mentioning it.

I'll keep that in mind as something to be aware of if/when I move. That isn't something I would immediately have thought about without you mentioning it.

it wasnt something i had thought of either until i found my my chin had developed a bladder stone :(

Latest posts

Back