Suggestions for friend with cancerous spouse...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riven

Bad Chin
Okay sounds funny, but both my friend and her husband have a great sense of humor, which is probably how they're even getting through this as good as they are!

My good friends husband was diagnosed with advanced t-cell lymphoblasic lymphoma cancer in basically his whole core.

They are country people who have been thrown into a city, 2 hours from home, with a 2 yr old and another on the way at the tender age of 23.

We are working on a fund raiser or two for him, he's a great guy, military, been to Iraq once or twice and was supposed to go back this fall. They have been in touch with the Cancer Society, is there any other organizations we should contact to help them out with anything? She is getting a job there while they are there, she is supposed to start next week.

Any suggestions on helping them deal with this, helping out, or anything. They're all about it, no self-pity here at all, we had to BEG to do a fundraiser! Right now he can't even travel, as they are prepping him for chemo and his WBC is at 0.. yes 0.

I know they will pull through because they're strong people, sadly they'd been fighting before he was diagnosed ( and was mis-diagnosed about 3 times by the local hospital in the last 4 months... ) and I'm sure a lot of it had to do with him not feeling good, but not knowing why. He already looks better even, and they have a great relationship with the doctors there ( nurses is questionable, she's a vet tech. and is not impressed with how they handle things, like sterile items, etc. and lets them know it too! )

Thanks for any suggestions!

Look for "fighter's groups" and other similar support groups for him and her. Tossed into a new city like that, they're going to need all the support system and they can get. Since he's not working, but will probably be bored out of his ever lovin' mind once the chemo starts, is there something he likes to do, a hobby or whatever, that would help him pick up a little extra mad money when he's feeling well? I ask b/c, especially for a young guy that's worked all his life, suddenly not being "the provider" can be quite a blow too. At least if he can fix computers for someone (or build chinchilla furniture, dog houses, etc.) he won't feel entirely useless while he's fighting this b#&^% of a disease.

What city are they staying in? Maybe someone from around there has suggestions about things around that specific town....

They are in Lincoln NE.

Dusty get to go "home" and the hospital at this time. He had an infection in the chest port and they had to remove it today. :( They are currently staying with the doctor, his basement is a 5000 sq ft. apartment basically! He said they can stay as long as they need/want, which is awesome.

Latest posts

Back