Suggestions for Chin who dislikes dust baths?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blondeangel

My chinny Bear has taken a dislike over the past few months for dust baths. I have tried both dust houses and open pans, he just never wants to play and roll and obsess like my others. I literally have come to taking pinches of dust, putting it on him in random places and rubbing it in lightly just to keep his coat fluffy. Any ideas on how to get him to enjoy his baths again?

Is he caged by others or does he live by himself? I've had some rescues come in that dislike to dust, and I've kept the dust house in their cage almost 24/7. They don't overdo it, because they clearly don't want to dust, but every now and then I could tell they dusted.

If he's with others... well, I've had some chins that don't seem to get the concept of dusting... maybe place him and another in the dust at the same time and see if he learns from the other one?

Bear is almost 4 yrs old. He does have a cage mate who loooves his dust bath. I have given him the option of in the cage or out, with or without his cage mate.

If he doesn't do it on his own, you can rub some dust into his fur. I have a couple that I need to do that for because they just aren't too into taking dust baths.

Latest posts

Back