suggestions for a Maine vacation?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beanjelly

kayak queen...
So the husband and I will have about a week off in August after the camp season is over, and we're thinking about taking a trip to Maine! Neither of us have been to Maine before, so I'm looking for suggestions of things to do, places to go/stay, and the "must-sees."

From what I've researched so far, we'll be flying in and out of Portland. We'll probably rent a car and travel up and down the coast. I know for sure we want to do a whale watch trip and eat lots of lobster...but past that, I'm open to suggestions!!

Any advice from you all who live in or have been to Maine? Thanks in advance!!

I've been up and down the Maine Coast...the touristy areas- York Beach, Old Orchard Beach, Kennebunkport are nice, but IMO the best spot is Bar Harbor ME- home of Acadia National Park. We've been twice and if you like to hike, bike, kayak, go on whale watches, you'll have a good time. It is around 3ish hours from Portland, but well worth the drive.

Oh, and if you are foodies like we are, Hugo's restaurant in Portland is awesome! A bit pricey, but the food is unique and made with all local ingredients...FYI...;)

My husband and I vacationed one year in Freeport, MA - we loved it LL BEAN is there. I thought we would just stop in a see. Neither my husband or I are sports fans but we thought we would just look. We love it so much we spent hours there and even went back another day. We signed up for a kyack (sp) lesoon and loved that. Google Maine's tourist section and you will find A LOT to do in Maine

I second the vote for Bar Harbor. It's been ages since I've been there, but I remember it being very nice if you're at all outdoorsy... I've actually wanted to go back for some time now, if grad school ever allows...

3rding Bar Harbor. Mt Desert Island was gorgeous, and there were some whale watching tours leaving from that area several times a day. We had the dog with us when we went, so 4 hrs. on a whale boat wasn't feasible, but I'd love to go back and do it some time. It's also not far from Canada and there are some great national parks on the Canadian side of the border too.

Just don't go swimming, even in July. I got in as far as my ankles on this very pretty pebble beach and was numb by the time I could get out! (Of course, I was also 9... lol)

My family lived in Maine for many years. If it was the snow season I would tell you to head to Bethel Maine and Sunday River, There are beautiful mountains that way, tons of natural water falls and caves, the town is very cute as well. I would sagest heading to Maine's official website and looking at the maps and all. The coast is breath taking as well.

Latest posts

Back