Suggestion as to how to help chins at Petsmart

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was JUST thinking about this today while I was at petsmart. They had the bright orange "carefresh" type bedding, and I sat there and watched the chins pick up the pieces of bedding and eat it. They had NO toys, NO wood to trim their teeth with. I felt so bad for them! Plus they were in those glass tanks with no levels or anything, I knew they were so bored. But I knew it was pointless to say anything to the manager because it all comes down to corporate. Not only is it bad for the chins to live in those conditions, but it is worse because they are the examples to potential chinchilla owners. Anyone who doesn't know a lot about chins, and buys one at their store will think that the cage set up they have there is acceptable.

It's so frustrating to see how these chain pet stores couldn't care less about the welfare of animals. It's all about making a buck. That's why I NEVER shop at any of these places. I'll refrain from saying anything else, as it would only turn into a rant.

I would just like to say that I personally work for petsmart, in the department that cares for the small animals. I feel the same way about the conditions they are in, but I hope I can give you some piece of mind. Most of the employees who work for petsmart are crazy about animals, and we try to give them as much attention as possible. This is especially true for the critters that like people such as parrots, rats, and especially chinchillas. I am always taking ours out and handling them, giving daily Cheerios, (yes I bring them from home) and just basically spoiling them. Trust me when I say that they are never with us long, people sure do love them.

I would just like to say that I personally work for petsmart, in the department that cares for the small animals. I feel the same way about the conditions they are in, but I hope I can give you some piece of mind. Most of the employees who work for petsmart are crazy about animals, and we try to give them as much attention as possible. This is especially true for the critters that like people such as parrots, rats, and especially chinchillas. I am always taking ours out and handling them, giving daily Cheerios, (yes I bring them from home) and just basically spoiling them. Trust me when I say that they are never with us long, people sure do love them.

That's at least good to know, because I always figured that the animals hardly ever get taken out or played with. Hopefully you're not the only one who does it! haha :)

That is great to hear! I only see the little cuties sleeping when I run my errands in the morning. I miss the hoppy times. I was just (falling in love with a beautiful standard grey chin) at my local Petsmart this weekend when I noticed that his/her habitat had a welcome change. The little angel had a Flying Saucer wheel in the enclosure. It was plastic, but still IMHO a step up from the mesh wire ones that break toes and feet and hurt their tails and sides that I usually see. I thought this was a big step forward! Thank you Petsmart!

-from Tapatalk mobile

That is great to hear! I only see the little cuties sleeping when I run my errands in the morning. I miss the hoppy times. I was just (falling in love with a beautiful standard grey chin) at my local Petsmart this weekend when I noticed that his/her habitat had a welcome change. The little angel had a Flying Saucer wheel in the enclosure. It was plastic, but still IMHO a step up from the mesh wire ones that break toes and feet and hurt their tails and sides that I usually see. I thought this was a big step forward! Thank you Petsmart!

-from Tapatalk mobile

I would love to put a flying saucer in our habitat, but unfortunately it would take up a lot of her space! We have the big plastic comfort wheel in there for her, she mainly uses it for nap time ;)

My 15 year old daughter and I went into a Petsmart, and she complained to the manager about the condition of their chins habitat. They a dried ear of corn, plastic everything, and a wheel that was, not only made of plastic, but also too small for the poor guy. We were told that it was corporate that wanted them to use as many different products in the cages as possible. So, I pointed out that they could use a wooden house in the chins cage and the plastic one in the ferrets cage. I also said that they could use a bigger wheel for the chin, and give him some apple wood to chew on instead of the corn. The next time we went in...they took our suggestions and applied them. It isn't great, and my daughter still wants to "save" every chinchilla that they ever get. :(

While we don't have a petsmart or such here in the UK, we have Pets At Home. Thats where I got my little girl Rose a few months ago, and ever since there have been a pair of gorgeous ebony girls who haven't found a good home yet :( I wish I could take them, but I can't for now. For a while now I have been taking down little treats for the staff to give them (I buy in bulk so I have lots of extra chin safe treats). They have came on great with the staff there and are SO sociable and friendly I hope they find a home soon.

Back