Sufficient Oxygen Availability and Fleece Liners

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peachydays

<--My sweet girl Gregory
This morning, Giggy nearly scared me to death.

I went down, and there was no sign of him in his cage. I could see that he had burrowed under his fleece liner, much further under than he usually does. I called his name, and there was no movement. I opened the cage, still nothing (this is when I started getting nervous). I began lifting up the liner, and I saw his back end, and his legs were all splayed out (and this is when my heart dropped into my stomach).

I poked him, and he woke up.

Now usually he doesn't burrow so far under his liner. He was so far under this time, and not near an edge, that I can't imagine that he was getting enough oxygen. I don't know how long he had been under there, but I'm glad I went down when I did (I had said goodnight around 11.45 pm, and this was about 9 am).

Do I need to be worried that he might one day burrow far under the liner, fall asleep, and die from lack of oxygen?

I wouldn't worry. He had to crawl under there so the fleece hasn't sealed itself to the base of the cage (either behind him or in front, really) and there is plenty of room for air to get in. When he sleeps his breathing is much slower than when he's awake, also.

Back