Sudden increase in chewing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinfonian

One of my chins has had a sudden and pronounced increase in chewing wood. She was already a healthy chewer, but now she is just decimating every stick/block/toy that I give her. Is it normal for this chewing behavior to fluctuate, or is this something about which I should be concerned?

Her teeth still look great.

That sounds pretty darn normal to me! Some nights they just go nuts and destroy everything in sight, I don't think there is anything to worry about.

When I got my ebony I was told he barked at the door for treats....he has changed from treats to wood. As soon as I pass he's there barking for wood, which he'll take a nibble of and ask for another (he's such a goober XD). The next morning all the wood I've given him is in a pile in the corner-barkless.

I think that they all love to chew, especially on wood- including baseboards and doors if you're not attentive enough! It's completely normal for them to demolish anything they can get their little paws on. Maybe she's feeling more comfortable in her enviornment or is growing up. As they get bigger their chewing becomes more noticable because their teeth are bigger, hence the bites taken are larger. If that makes sense. If she's not new to you or is an adult already, I'm not sure what would cause a sudden increase but I don't think that it's anything to worry about. If there was an issue with her teeth there would be others signs- drooling, decreased appetite and teeth grinding.

My boys all chew a TON of wood. I am almost out again and I am waiting on my applewood from Chantel... But they sure do chew. I can put 6 or 7 sticks in my ebony's cage and in the morning they are barkless and he shoves them through the grate on the bottom of his cage into his potty corner. He knows that I clean it, so I think it's his way of saying, well this one is done Mom!

Gizmo isnt a big wood chewer... he'll take some nibbles and leave it alone. He has never fully destroyed anything. But he does love the lava ledges!

Mine destroys the lava bites. I gave him one two days ago and now it is over halfway gone!!!!

Some chins seem to have a more pronounced need to chew.
I have one rescue in particular who NEEDS much more of a variety of chew things...or else she goes after her own fur!

It also could potentially be a forwarning of tooth issues, but don't let this input scare you. Chins are supposed to act like giant fluffy termites. ;)

But just in case you are worried about the possibility of "issues", you might want to consider adding some extra vitamin C to the chewer's diet. Vitamin C strengthen's the connective tissues that hold the teeth and helps keep malo to a minimum. Try rose hips for this. Unlike other treats, rose hips are healthy alternatives.
Good luck!

Back