Sudden Fur Chewing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelpo23

Hey everyone,

Now that I've introduced myself here I'd like to address a concern I have about my boy Dexter. As I've said in my introduction post he's a year old, and I've had him since he was 1/2 month old.

He's been totally fine behaviorally this whole time, seems as normal as any chin should, and after talking to my sister she suggests I get a second opinion. Lately Dexter has been acting very skiddish, more than usual, and doesn't talk back to me when I try to chin talk to him. Before he used to talk back to me, and immediately greet me at the cage door when I open it. More recently he's started to chew his fur, on both of his sides near his bottom. I was thinking initially that it may have been his bedding, I started out using carefresh and switched to aspen, and most recently switched back. I don't see him chewing as much lately so maybe the bedding was the problem, I just can't be sure if other behavioral problems are to blame. I read another post recently stating that sometimes chinchillas go through a "bratty" stage, which I'm not sure if it's true but I'd like a second opinion. It stresses me out sometimes to think that I may have been the blame for his behavioral problems, or if they are indeed just a "stage".

Thank you for reading!

Kelsey and Dexter

Fur chewing is usually a sign of stress. Has anything changed in his environment? Once they start chewing, it can be difficult to get them to stop. If you identify what is stressing him, removing it may help, but often they just continue to chew.

Chewers will chew because of whatever, they will start and stop at random and there is nothing you can do about it.

My Rosey is a fur chewer. She started due to stress, when one of my other chins (who has since passed away) got sick.
Unfortunately, once Rosey started fur chewing, she never stopped. She has a huge cage, plenty of toys, and play out time every night... but she still chews.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that sometimes once they start, they'll never stop. You could maybe offer more toys, and give him more attention, but it might not change anything.

But so long as your chin is not biting at his skin, and you cant think of anything he might be stressed about, then he should be okay. Rosey looks a little funny on account of the chewed fur, but she's happy and healthy in every other way!

Mine has been chewing since we got him 6 months ago but he doesn't have any marks from it and looks fine

If your chin's fur looks fine, he is not fur chewing, just grooming himself. Fur chewing leave patches of fur that are shorter than the rest. If he is really chewing, he could be doing so in response to being allowed free roam of your room. He may feel very insecure and nervous causing him to chew his fur out of stress.

Latest posts

Back