Sudden full body "twitch" and scabs on neck

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hp7681

My new chinchilla will be scratching her neck and then all of a sudden have a fit and she shakes like a dog (but about a million times faster). It' just for a second but she jumps right after she does it (jump is also a lighting speed). Is this a common behavior?

She seems to be scratching around her neck more than anywhere else. She let me pet her and I felt some small scabs around her neck. Not very many, about the size of a pin head. The rest of her body looks/feels fine, she's eating, drinking, pooing, and peeing just fine. They are on both sides of her neck. Could she have scratched herself when itching?? Allergies? Has anyone else seen this?

I have her on aspen bedding. Her owner passed away two days ago and I took her in. Don't know anything about her past, her age, etc.

Thanks!

How often are you bathing her? She could have dry skin that itches. Try bathing her less often and see if that helps. That rapid shake is actually normal, they just do everything at a rapid rate.

Latest posts

Back