Sudden Fighting

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeeleyAnne

Buddha & Moose (:
So last night, I heard some scuffling and kecking coming from the cage. I looked over to see Buddha and Moose standing on their hind legs facing one another a few inches apart. This was something I have never seen them do and it kind of scared me. Usually they just keck at eachother if they are getting in eachother's way, but this time they actually looked like they were getting ready to fight. I ran over to the cage and separated them, and gave them each a pear stick to chew. The rest of the night was fine, no more fighting or kecking but it had me worried. There was plently of food and water, so I don't think they were fighting over that. Do I need to be worried about them continuing to fight? I've heard that once chins decide they don't like eachother, they are never going to get along after that, but maybe this wasn't very serious. Any thoughts? (Sorry this got long)

Last edited:
Maybe I should have added that they have been caged together for a little less than a year, and have been best buddies, besides the occasional "get out of my way" keck.

You will need to keep a very close eye on them. If you notice excessive chasing, more aggressive behavior, or clumps of fur around the cage, it will be time to separate.

Best buddies can turn on each other at any time. Doesn't matter how long they have been together.

I wish I could be there during the day, but sadly I'm at work. Hopefully since they sleep during the day it will be ok until I get home. :( They seemed fine this morning, and I made sure they had plenty of food before I left. I guess only time and a close eye will tell with this situation.

Very strange because I noticed my boys doing the same thing other night, like they were having a stand off at starting right at each other...I was watching ready to seperate and stop them but the just went on about their business...they have been in cage together since day one and now they are a year...they are twin brothers as well!!!

I swear my boys get spring fever every year and get feisty for a couple weeks. The last 2 nights the boys were going at it so loud it woke me up. I got up and checked on them and there was no fur flying or anything. They just looked at me like "Why are you up?" They cuddle together all day long and then get crazy after we go to bed. I'm going to try an extra long playtime tonight and hope that helps.

If there's lots of fur slips, excessive aggression, or blood drawn please do not hesitate to separate them. Sometimes just separating for a couple hours can calm them down.

Latest posts

Back