Sudden death

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickster

My little beige Sydney just passed for an unknown reason. She was about 5 and showed absolutely no sign of illness. So what could it be? Help me out here, please.

It's hard to tell specially with no signs and could be a number of things. A necropsy might help to determine cause of death.

All animals are at risk of things like heart problems, aneurisms, and choking. I lost my parrot recently instantaneously. My husband walked by his cage to get something and saw him happily eating, walked back and he was dead on the floor. Who knows which of those 3 things claimed him but when there's no symptoms and they go from normal to dead very quickly it's usually one of those. One of my competitors in 4h shows had her horse drop dead in the pasture of an aneurism. It still had grass in it's mouth. They had a necropsy done since this was a several thousand dollar animal in what appeared to be perfect health.

I don't have any ideas as to cause; I just wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss xxxx

So sorry for your loss.

Wish I had an answer for you. Three years ago I had a beautiful kit several weeks old pass away with no symptoms at all.

Another adult chin suddenly passed away when I was at a show. My family said he was fine and the next morning was laying down and gone. In his case I was told in advance he had heart problems. Didn't make it any easier to see him gone.

I am so sorry for your loss.

In this instance, a necropsy is really the only way to know. Chinchillas are so good at hiding illness or injury. It could have been any number of things.

Latest posts

Back