Successfully introduced two chins for the first time!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinayTohDoh

I recently got a new chin and he is very young. My older one is a little over a year old and is the first chinchilla I ever owned. Today after switching them between each other's cages and having the oldest in a smaller cage while the youngest roams about the cage, I decided to have them freely greet each other in the play area. It went better than expected, some dominance humping here and there (hilarious to see such a little chinchilla trying to hump a much larger one haha) but it went really well so I decided to see if they could be in the cage together.

To my surprise they are doing just fine. Even grooming each other with little protests occasionally. Still keeping a close eye though.

How was your first experience trying to introduce two different chins together? :) were you as nervous as I was? Did it go smoothly or not so smoothly? I would love to hear.

Congrats! Sounds like they are doing well. Keep an eye on them still though just in case. Especially at night when they get more active.

I have successfully introduced 3 pairs of chinchilla males since I first started with chinchillas. 1 pair I introduced for my mother was doing ok and then started acting aggressive toward one another so she separated them. The pair I have now did not tolerate each other at first, but with patience and persistence, they've grown to be quite bonded. One big factor I've found in my experience that impacts whether your introduction is successful or not is cage size. My boys are in a large ferret nation now. They cuddle, groom each other, share toys and food, and have good playtimes together. But if they are moved to half a ferret nation (we tried this when they were being babysat during a recent move), bickering and chasing starts. I guess they're too close for comfort. In the big cage they are fine, but I have two water bottles, two food bowls, and multiple hidey houses, just in case they need some privacy. I can relate to that! :laughitup:

Yeah aha they chased each other because the cage I had them in was small like one ferret nation unit. My double unit just arrived today so I know they will be excited to get in a much larger cage. :) They are still doing fine though. My oldest is actually friendlier now that he has company.

That is great to hear, it is always satisfying when you successfully introduce two chinnies together!

Back