Successful trio :)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e.murphy518

I love my chinchildren!
So I had a friend who decided she could no longer keep her chins. There was one in particular, a 6 month old mosaic male, who she thought would fit well with my group (I got my beige from her about a month and a half before this guy). She knew how I take care of mine so she decided to give me him a while back. After monitoring his temperament I decided that he would be a good fit with my recently introduced pair (they are all incredibly laid back). Today was the day I designated for their first playtime and it went ridiculously well, as you will see in the attached video. I was hesitant to try a trio, considering the bad experiences I have read about on here, but knowing how laid back these chins all are, I decided it would be worth it and it definitely was.

I thought this would be helpful to post so that people can see that trios are definitely doable. I decided that I would start out with a joint playtime, since that is how my intro for my pair was successful. I put three dust baths, a tube, and a ton of sticks. I let them all out in the pen and they all behaved amazingly. The new addition (who recently lost a buddy) was visibly ecstatic to be with other chins. He immediately started pop corning and wall surfing all over, as you will see in the video. They acted like they had known each other forever, literally zero spats or humps or anything. So, after about 45 min I decided to "smoosh" them in a carrier. One fell asleep within 3 minutes and the other two just sniffed each other and sat there looking bored. So, I cleaned the cage and changed the fleece, and released them all into the cage I hope will be permanent. I have been watching them for about an hour and they are totally fine, even with face to face contact and sharing food and everything. So, I know I need to keep a close eye on them but as of right now everything is going great! Grooming each other, cuddling, playing, everything is just great. :)

here is the first meeting video, Chip is so excited! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkctgcwuQzs&feature=youtu.be

In the "smoosh" phase, Butters and Bambam (the original pair) on the right and middle respectively, and Chip (the addition) on the left:
image_zps27ca0a11.jpeg

Now Bambam on the right, Butters in the middle, and Chip still on the left:
image-2_zps405593d8.jpeg

And here is Butters relaxing in the corner, and Bambam grooming Chip:
image-3_zpsfa6b1093.jpeg

Congratulations. Not to be a debby downer but I just want to say you most definitely are not out of the woods yet. My trios all got along wonderfully in the beginning and I didn't experience any problems with them until later down the road (months). That is why I always share my experience and don't recommend them now. Hopefully yours continue to get along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope they will also, and I am very optimistic. There has not even been a sign of dominance mounting or kecking or anything else, they all seem very happy. This morning I woke up and Butters (part of the original pair) was sleeping in his fleece cube, while Bambam cuddled the new addition to the cage:

image_zpse8077461.jpeg

This was how both Bambam and Butters behaved when I first introduced them, and Bambam had lived with Chip temporarily in their old home. They just seem to be happy to all be together.

Back