Sub-q fluids

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cintistatern2005

Because of smokey's condition and he's not drinking i am administering sub-q fluids of 60cc a day of lactated ringers. My only question is why do they always give lactated ringers and not just normal saline. Lactated ringers contains potassium and do they really need all this potassium? I guess my question is can i just give normal saline or is there a reason why lactated ringers is always given? I just dont want to overload the potassium. Could this be harmful?

At the place I work at we are almost always giving lactacted ringers - I'd say abut 85% of the time. It really doesn't have that much potassium and is only slightly different than saline. It has much to do with the electrolytes the body looses with fluid loss.

I get saline when it is my regular vet, but at the emergency clinic they give me lactated ringers.

LRS is a balanced electrolyte solution, whereas saline is water with enough salt added to make it the same tonicity (basically, concentration) as blood. There isn't enough potassium in LRS to cause problems unless you have an animal with an extreeeeeemely elevated potassium level (and the animal would be Very Sick). Everyone has their favorite SC fluid, but any of the isotonic fluids (LRS, Norm-R, saline) are fine.

Back